2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2020 3:30 PM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking Danish Virgin Islands birth records from 1820

Julie Angeles Newbie

My second great grandfather was born in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands in 1820. My DNA results (and my cousins' results) lead me to believe that his mother was from sub-Saharan Africa, but I can't find records to verify this. Any ideas where to look?

• Re: Seeking Danish Virgin Islands birth records from 1820
          Lidio Rivera Newbie

Hi Julie,

Your best bet would be to check out the website maintained by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS or the Mormons) as they have a vast collection of genealogically useful records for free consultation, and copying,  many of which are available online as well. You can find them at www.familysearch.org You will be able to register for free which gives you access to their "Catalog" where you can search for "Virgin Islands - U.S." and therein you will be able to access "Census records, 1841-1911." if you're lucky you might find a reference to your great-grandfather there. No guarantee you'll find a direct connection back to Africa but certainly worth the time and effort to research these census records as well as several other types of records available there. I'd suggest looking at the other records listed under "Church records," "Slavery and bondage," and "Vital records."

Good luck!

Lidio Rivera

• Re: Seeking Danish Virgin Islands birth records from 1820
            Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Angeles,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located two series titled Vouchers Concerning Minors, 1820 -1862 and Subject Files Relating to Government and Public Matters, 1749 -  1917 in the Records of the Government of the Virgin Islands (Record Group 55) that may include the records you seek. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful