1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 11, 2020 9:59 AM by Sylvia Naylor

Seeking civilian guard or worker roster at a US POW camp

Joseph Adams Newbie

Hi, Where do I find my father, Joseph Andrew Adams (from Philadelphia, PA), on a civilian guard or worker roster at a US Mainland POW camp in the midwest during WWII?  Thank you.

• Re: Seeking civilian guard or worker roster at a US POW camp
          Sylvia Naylor Adventurer

Dear Mr. Adams,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

In order to assist you with your research better, we need more information about the status of your father at the Prisoner of War camp.  Was your father an employee of the U.S. Government or was he brought in once (or occasionally) to do a specific task (i.e., an ad hoc basis)? If he was a U.S. Government employee, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Personnel File (OPF). OPFs and medical information for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity prior to 1952 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis, P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138. Please include the full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if applicable), name and location of employing Federal agency, beginning and ending dates of Federal Service. For more information, the web site is https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/civilian-personnel.

Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.

If your father was occasionally employed, then there may not be official documentation on him. Such routine paperwork would have been destroyed after its initial administrative purpose was fulfilled.

We hope this information is helpful.  Best of luck with your family research!