9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2020 2:38 PM by Alice Lane

Seeking information on Romeo Napier (also know as Robert Williams)

James Dean Newbie

I'm seeking any documentation/records on my great-grandfather as I've been unable to find any of my own. I have been making a tree via ancestory.com and despite searching there and doing lots of googling, I haven't been able to find any information.

He was born Romeo Napier but changed his name later in life (possibly in his 60s) to Robert Williams. My grandmother Claudette (his daughter) was born August, 27, 1937 in St. Louis, MO to Mafalda "Sis" Finley. He also has another daughter named Virginia Helen (mother/birth date unknown). He is buried at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery in St. Louis, MO meaning he was a veteran. There are no Romeo Napiers buried there, but there were over 100 Robert Williams. I found 7 "Robert Williams" who seem like they were born/died in a plausible time frame, but I don't know how to narrow those down or if he's even one of them.

I was also told that that one his ancestors (possibly his father or grandfather) was a Civil War deserter. My father only met him a handful of times when he was young but seems to think that he had some sort of mental condition and a guardian. I'm uncertain if this is true or if it's potentially useful information. I do not have any info/dates/locations beyond this.

If anyone has any leads or any suggestions on what to do in this search, it would be much appreciated.