1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 2, 2020 3:26 PM by Cara Jensen

    Seeking replacement of Purple Heart medal for Phillip Covey


      I found out that my deceased Great Grandfather, Phillip Sherman Covey, received a Purple Heart for his service in WWI.  The medal has been lost along with his military records showing he received it.  How do I request a replacement medal?

        • Re: Seeking replacement of Purple Heart medal for Phillip Covey
          Cara Jensen Navigator

          Dear Mr. Covey,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          For Air Force (including Army Air Corps), Army, and Navy personnel, NARA's National Personnel Records Center will verify the awards to which a veteran is entitled and forward the request with the verification to the appropriate service department for issuance of the medals.  For requesting medals and awards, please use eVetRecs on NARA’s website at https://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/ or complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and send it to NARA's Military Personnel Records, National Personnel Records Center, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Provide as much information as possible in Section II under "other."


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.

          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!