1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 6, 2020 12:57 AM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking Enemy Alien Registration Affidavits

Eirik Harteis Newbie

I am looking for Enemy Alien Registration Affidavits from 1917 to 1921 for Virginia and/or Maryland. I found 6,000 records from Kansas (ARC 286181) online. Does anyone have suggestions for tracking down these records online or what NARA site I would need to visit? Thank you.

• Re: Seeking Enemy Alien Registration Affidavits
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Harteis,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 6 series pertaining to aliens in the  Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service (Record Group 85) for the Philadelphia District that may include records from Maryland and Virginia during WWI. Please review these series and contact the National Archives at Philadelphia (RE-PA) via email at philadelphia.archives@nara.gov for more information.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of these enemy alien records no longer exist.  The series from Kansas is by far the most comprehensive that NARA has. There are smaller series of records at other NARA facilities (ex. Riverside has some from the Phoenix, AZ area, and Atlanta has series covering parts of eastern North Carolina). Smaller groupings of records may be located at local and state archives and/or historical societies.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

[Some information provide by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]

1 person found this helpful