2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2020 9:35 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking State Department records concerning a death in Mexico

John Everett Jones Newbie

What is the best manner to locate documents in the State Department archives (Martin Van Buren, Sec. of State)? I am researching John J. Vanderkemp (1783-1855) of Philadelphia. Vanderkemp was General Agent for the Holland Land Company as well as president of the Philadelphia Savings Bank.  He was elected member of the American Philosophical Society in 1840.  His father was the Dutch political refugee Francois Adriaan van der Kemp. In 1832 Vanderkemp's oldest son, ADRIAN VANDERKEMP, a graduate of the Univ. of Pennsylvania died 11 August 1832 in "Hedionda, Mexico" at age 22.  I assume this refers to Hedionda near Saltillo, Coahuila  (but possibly could refer to San Diego).  I also assume that because of the importance of his father, there was a report issued by the consul/ambassador in Mexico and almost certainly correspondence related to the circumstances of the death. I have researched in the Philadelphia office/archive but I have never dealt with the State Department archives in College Park. What is the next step I need to take to locate any documents (i.e., is there a finding guide or further file organization that I should consult).

Anyone with experience looking through this series?