1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 5, 2020 11:54 AM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking family history of a Mississippi Choctaw

Carol Wheeler Newbie

I am looking for the pedigree (genealogical) records for the wife of a Mississippi Choctaw tribal member.  I see the husband's information on the Dawes Application but not the wife's information.  Based on earlier research, I believe the applications were approved based on their ancestor's being a part of the tribe.  The card shows, she was a full-blooded Choctaw, but her parental information is incomplete.

• Re: Seeking family history of a Mississippi Choctaw
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Wheeler,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

If the applicants were not current tribal members, their applications could still be approved based on an ancestor, based on the 1830 treaty or the 1837 and 1842 acts. The card you mention is probably a Census Card or Enrollment Cards, 1898 - 1914 in the Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (Record Group 75) that are often the first step used to research an individual.

We suggest that your next step should be to research the Applications for Enrollment in the Five Civilized Tribes, 1898 - 1914 in Record Group 75, which include the enrollment jackets that provide more detailed information about proving tribal membership. These records have been digitized and are available using the Catalog.

If they were already members of the tribal nation, approval was rather pro forma. Therefore, the enrollment jackets may not delve into their genealogy..

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

[Information provided by Cody White, Subject Matter Expert]

1 person found this helpful