13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2020 11:08 PM by David Bolte

Seeking records of 9th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division in WWII

Matt Deome Newbie

I am seeking information on the 9th Infantry Regiment of the 2nd Infantry Division in WWII. My great uncle, Arthur E Orcutt served in Company C, 9th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division, and was killed on August 3, 1944 in France. I have very little information through stories passed down in my family and that's it. I would love to trace his footsteps, find orders of battle, honesty any information to piece together his story. I also would love to work on getting his medals replaced. Not even sure what ones he might have had. Thanks in advance!

• Re: Seeking records of 9th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division in WWII
          joan stachnik Tracker

Hi Matt, if your uncle was killed overseas, you might want to begin by requesting his Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF or burial case file) from the National Archives, if you haven't already done so. I have found that the information in these files varies, but it may give you some idea regarding the place and circumstances of his death.  At minimum he would have been awarded the Purple Heart. So there should be a record of that some where.

Another source of information would be his company's Morning Reports. These record the daily activities of an individual company or unit and are held at the St. Louis Archives. Hope this is of some help. joan

1 person found this helpful
            Alice Lane Tracker

Hi Matt,

Found this on google. http://www.mckownfamily.com/g21/p21322.htm

http://www.mckownfamily.com/e1326.htm

google book you can read online. Combat History of the Second Infantry Division. your uncle's name is in the book

https://books.google.com/books?id=kmB2PCD4ic0C&pg=PA196&lpg=PA196&dq=arthur+e+orcutt+ww2&source=bl&ots=IXmihf-QoF&sig=AC…

A lot of information here about his unit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9th_Infantry_Division_(United_States)

Good luck with your search

Alice

Cara Jensen Tracker

Dear Mr. Deome,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1981 (Record Group 407) that includes records of the 9th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division during WWII. Records of lower echelon units, such as companies, sometimes were incorporated into the files of the regiment. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Additional information may be contained in his Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). For the IDPFs from 1940-1976 of personnel with surnames that begin with M-Z,  please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

Robert Levline Wayfarer

As stated by Cara Jenson below the After Action Reports for the 9th IR are available and provided on a CD at a nominal cost.  I retrieved the AARs for the 23rd IR of the 2nd ID and they provided many details down to the battalion level, and sometimes Co. level.  Morning Reports at the Co. level provides mostly roster information like replacements, casualties, and sickness/injury.  Due to microfilming carbon copies and poor typing some are difficult or impossible to read, but most are pretty good.

Good luck...it is an interesting pursuit.

Tomas Hataj Newbie

Dear Mr. Levline, please may I ask you from which period you have the AARs of the 23rd Infantry Regiment? Is it just June till September 1944? We would like to put together all Morning and After Action Reports to help families of veterans in their research. Did someone from your family serve in the 23rd Infantry Regiment? Maybe we have in our archive some documents that might be helpful for you as well. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Robert Levline Wayfarer

Dear Tomas -

I have the After Action reports for the 23rd IR, 2nd ID for January through May, 1945.  My father was a replacement into the 23rd IR, Co. L.  I also have information on where in Pilsen he was billeted including the family name and address.  Please advise on what information I can provide to help you.

Bob

Tomas Hataj Newbie

Hello Bob,

it is great to hear from you! I am really interested to know more about your father and his army service because men of the 3rd Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment liberated my hometown Zbůch near Pilsen in May 1945. I even have pictures of men from Company M, 23rd IR in the village Líně next to us. To be honest, I must say that American soldiers like your father are still well remembered in the Czech Republic even after more than 40 dark years of communism in our country. Every time when I talk with the witnesses of the war they say: "Yes, I remember American soldiers, especially those with the Indianhead patch on their shoulders. The most friendly and kind. They were still cheerful and smiling. It was the happiest moment of my life."

Please, feel free to contact me. I am looking forward to seeing where your father was billeted. Also I can take pictures for you how it looks like now. We have some signed orders of the 3rd Bn, 23rd IR and what I know they were stationed mostly in Třemošná near Pilsen.

If you are interested, you can visit our Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/MenOfThe2ndInfantryDivision/ We would be grateful for anything you would like to share with us. Unfortunately, we still do not have much information about Company L and only 6 names of Company L´s members in our database so anything can help us. 

With best regards,

Tomas Hataj

Robert Levline Wayfarer

Dear Tomas -

As you probably know The 2nd ID (9th, 23rd, 38th IRs)  departed an area near Escarn, Germany on May 1, 1945 bound for Pilsen and the surrounding area.  The 23rd IR, 3rd Battalion basically followed Route 26 as they advanced toward Pilsen where they arrived on May 7th.

My dad, Robert E. Levline, was drafted on February 22, 1943, eventually serving in the Army Air Corps at Base Air Depot 1 near Warrington, England.  After the Ardennes Offensive (Battle of the Bulge) he volunteered for the infantry and was assigned as a Browning Automatic Rifleman (BAR) in a squad of Co. L.

The picture was taken in Pilsen around the end of May or early June 1945.

He was billeted with the Edelmann family on Nerudova St. in Pilsen.  They had a son named Pauli.  Until 1948, when your "dark period" began, my family exchanged food and gifts with them.

Please let me know if I can provide any further information.

Bob

Tomas Hataj Newbie

Dear Bob,

Thank you so much for sending your father´s picture. It's perfect! Also thank you for all the information you shared with me. I really appreciate it! Your father is a first example of a man who served in the Army Air Corps and volunteered for the infantry. I have never heard any story like that related to the 2nd Infantry Division. If you want I can try to find the Edelmann family. Do you still have any letters from them?

I have found the After Action Reports of the 23rd Infantry Regiment during my research. We want to visit and document exact locations in the Czech Republic where three members of the 23rd Infantry Regiment were killed in action - the last battle casualties of the 23rd IR during WWII. They were killed on May 5 and May 6, 1945. We have found so much information about them and also purchased the copies of their personal records from NARA which were really helpful. Unfortunately, the stories of these three men of the 23rd IR are almost forgotten so now our project team wants to commemorate these men and find out what exactly happened.

Have a nice day!

Tomas

Tomas Hataj Newbie

Dear Mr. Deome, thank you for sharing information about your great uncle. I am a historian from Pilsen, Czech Republic. Members of the 2nd Infantry Division helped to liberate my country at the end of war in May 1945. I am a co-founder of our project "Men of the 2nd Infantry Division" an online database of the 2nd ID´s members and also a community of veterans, families and fans of this Division in WWII. Our task is to preserve the legacy of all men who served in this famous Division. We had name of your great uncle in our database and now we finally know that he was a member of Company C. I made a short research and found several documents and information (including newspaper articles) that might be interesting for you. This is for example a part of S/Sgt. Hanford M. Rice´s diary. He served with your great uncle in Company C: August 3, 1944 (Thursday): "We attacked (again). Five men dropped out with combat fatigue. Stethem left so I took the 3rd platoon. (Enemy) artillery is falling like rain drops. (Those hit were) Captain Harvey, Pfc. Ed T. Niski, Pvt. Joseph F. Kelly, (Robt. L.) Perkins, (Elgin L.G. Bauer) Bower, Storey. (There are only) 16 men left in the 3rd platoon."

Joseph Armstrong Wayfarer

Hi Matt, The order of Battle for the 2nd Infantry Division is located at the following web site:

https://history.army.mil/documents/ETO-OB/2ID-eto.htm

Joseph Armstrong Wayfarer

Hi Matt,

Following may help you in your research:

PFC Authur E. Orcutt

Born 8-21-21 Vermont

Registered for the Draft D.S.S Form 1 Serial T 287 Age 20 Sullivan County, St. Claremont, N.H.

Enlisted Nov 18, 1942 Service Number A 31 178 270

KIA 3 Aug 1944 France

Buried 1946 Sheffield Vermont

And review of Regimental Unit Journal and Regimental After Action Reports for month of August 1944