1 Reply Latest reply on May 27, 2020 8:00 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking Documentation on Uncle's Bronze Star (First Award)

Thomas Clasper Newbie

I have the citation for my uncle's First Oak Leaf Cluster to the Bronze Star Medal. His name is William Clasper (1908 - 1987) and his Army Service Number is 32134651. The award I have is for action in Italy on 17 April 1945 near Mt Aringo and Barchetta.  It was issued by Headquarters 91st Infantry Division. I am looking for the first award that must have happened after February 1944 and before April 1945. After contacting the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis (in person), I found that all his records were destroyed in the fire of 1973.  All that is left is his final discharge paperwork. No service records information.  I have reviewed Fold 3 and lists of Bronze Star recipients and cannot find his name listed anywhere. My questions are:  Who might have a duplicate record of his award(s)?  Where do I explore next? 

• Re: Seeking Documentation on Uncle's Bronze Star (First Award)
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Clasper,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Awards Files, 1943 - 1945 of the Fifth Army (to which the 91st was assigned) in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338) that may contain records of awards given to soldiers of the 91st Infantry Division. We also located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1981 (Record Group 407) that includes records of the 91st Infantry Division and may contain the general order awarding these medals. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!