3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2020 4:32 PM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking information about Correspondence of Marine Divisions

Francisco Abril Wayfarer

NARA appears to have a series for the "Correspondence of the Marine Corps Divisions" during WWII. This is using the ELLS-DRAN system, which is kind of confusing.  To add to it, the one for the second marine division as listed in the Catalog does not appear to follow the convention of other divisions.  I am wondering if any one can shed any light as to what kind of information can be obtained from this series.  Also, if there are units that were not part of a division, are those stored somewhere else? Thanks!

• Re: Seeking information about Correspondence of Marine Divisions
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Abril,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The series Correspondence of the Marine Corps Divisions is administrative in nature. They discuss the inner workings of the division. If you want to know how a division was operating at rest or during an occupation then this is what you need.  Depending on the topic of your research, you also may be interested in the Records of Amphibious Corps, 1940 - 1946 and the Records of Ground Combat Units, Support Units and Other Commands, 1939 - 1950 in the Records of the U.S. Marine Corps (Record Group 127) plus various other World War II-era Marine and Naval record series. For more information about World War II-era Marine records in NARA custody, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at Archives2reference@nara.gov.

In regards to the 2nd Marine Division filing system, it just happens to be that their records include correspondence that the other divisions did not retain. See Filing Manuals - Marine Corps for a link to the Ells-Dran filing manual.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

[Information provided by Nate Patch, Subject Matter Expert]

• Re: Seeking information about Correspondence of Marine Divisions
              Francisco Abril Wayfarer

Thank you Jason (and please extend my gratitude also to Nate), I really appreciate the help.  I looked at the ELLS-DRAN system and I more or less can make out what the subjects are based on the system, but the index for the 2nd Mar Div does not seem to correspond to the numbers in the ELLS-DRAN system.

The index contains the following for the 2nd Mar Division:

Box 3: 1st Marine Division: 1990 Orders THRU 2nd Marine Division: 105-25

Box 4: 2nd Marine Division: 105-30- THRU 155-5

Box 5: 2nd Marine Division: 155-10 THRU 175

Box 6: 2nd Marine Division: 180 THRU 205-20-10

Box 7: 2nd Marine Division: 205-20-15 THRU 230

Box 8: 2nd Marine Division: 235 THRU 3rd Marine Division: 1410 Crime, Misdemeanor

Here you can see that each of the numbers for the 2ndMarDiv contain three digits, but according to the ELLS-DRAN system, each major category/subject starts with 4 digits, here's an example taken from the manual.

Major Subject 1520 Education

Primary Subject 1520-30 Marine Corps Schools

Secondary Subject 1520-30-120 Officers

Minor Subject 1520-30-120-10 Basic School

With this information, is nearly impossible to know exactly what the numbers in the 2ndMarDIv mean.  Unless I am missing something.

Thanks again!

Javier