2 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2020 2:06 PM by Jodie Laird

    Seeking military records of grandfather & 10th Mountain Division


      My grandfather was in the 10th Mountain Division and fought in the Battle of the Bulge. He also received a Bronze Star however I don't know if the two were during the same time period or related. How do I even find records of this?

        • Re: Seeking military records of grandfather & 10th Mountain Division
          Jason Atkinson Guide


          Dear Ms. Laird,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          From December 1944 through January 1945, while the Battle of the Bulge was occuring in the Ardennes region of eastern Belgium, northeast France, and Luxembourg, the 10th Mountain Division was in the process of deploying to Italy. If he served in the Battle of the Bulge, he would have been assigned to a different unit at the time of that battle. If that was the case, he may have been later reassigned to the 10th Mountain Division.


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for officers and enlisted men of the U.S. Army who served during World War II and separated prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis.  In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form, such as service numbers and dates of service, you can leave these fields blank or provide a rough estimate (such as writing “World War II”) however the more information you provide, the easier it will be for NPRC staff to locate  the correct files. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          World War II Army Enlistment Records are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Electronic Records (RDE) and are available via AAD (Access to Archival Databases) on the National Archives website at. The best way to look up individual soldiers is to use a Fielded Search, using the format LASTNAME#FIRSTNAME for the name field. You can use other fields such as the last two digits of his year of birth and the state in which he resided at the time of his enlistment to narrow down the search. If you can locate a record for your grandfather in this database, it will provide you with his service number and enlistment date. Please be advised that there are gaps in these records.


          Selective Service records for individuals who served after World War I and were born before 1960 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-0757. There are two types of records: cards and classification histories.  The individual Draft Registration Card (SSS Form 1) may contain information such as: name, Selective Service registration number, age, date and place of birth, ethnicity, place of residence at time of registration and basic physical description. The Classification History (SSS Form 102) may contain: name; date of birth; classification and date of mailing notice; date of appeal to the board; date and results of armed forces physical examination; entry into active duty or civilian work in lieu of induction (may include date, branch of service entered and mode of entry, such as enlisted or ordered); date of separation from active duty or civilian work; and general remarks. Please complete a Form NA-13172 to request a search of these records.


          For men who registered for the draft prior to 1976, all other individual draftee files besides the cards and classification histories were destroyed by the Selective Service System in 1978, in accordance with approved records retention schedules. Physical examination and test results, medical letters, laboratory work, and other medical documentation that may have been included in these files no longer exist.


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Awards Files, 1943 - 1945 of the Fifth Army Army (to which the 10th Mountain was assigned) in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338) that may contain records of awards given to soldiers of the 10th Mountain Division. We also located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1981 (Record Group 407) that includes records of the 10th Mountain Division and may contain the general order awarding these medals. We also located Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) ( Record Group 338) that includes 11 files of the 10th Mountain Division. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL and RDT2. Also, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          We searched online and located several additional resources concerning history of the 10th Mountain Division, to include the following


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

            • Re: Seeking military records of grandfather & 10th Mountain Division

              Yes, you are correct. It was the 10th Mountain Division. I did find a list online (a very long list lol) with the names of everyone who fought in the BOB.

              I did find out a couple of days ago that my aunt has all of my grandfather's military records and medals.

                Thank you so much for your help.

                My grandfather is still alive at 99 years old, however most days he can't remember much. I only wish I had taken more interest many years ago and asked him all the questions I wish I could ask him now