1 Reply Latest reply on May 27, 2020 1:24 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking personnel file of Joseph Wilkens

Donna Briggs Newbie

I am trying to find out information about my father, Joseph Wilkens, who worked repairing ships after the bombing of Pearl Harbor.  He was part of the US Navy Civilian Service. I also believe he was on one of the ships as it headed toward Midway Island.  I believe he provided a valuable service for our Country and would love to know about this part of his life.

• Re: Seeking personnel file of Joseph Wilkens
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Ms. Briggs,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Personnel File (OPF). OPFs and medical information for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity prior to 1952 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis, P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138. Please include the full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if applicable), name and location of employing Federal agency, and beginning and ending dates of Federal Service. For more information, the web site is https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/civilian-personnel.

Please note that the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. Orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. Once operations resume, document reproduction requests will be filled in the order in which they were received. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!