1 Reply Latest reply on May 21, 2020 2:48 PM by Elliot Schneider

Seeking records of how my dad earned an Infantry Medal

Sarah condra Newbie

I would like to know how my dad earned his Infantry Medal in the Korean War. Does anyone know how to find out the details about a loved ones Korean War Infantry Medal?

• Re: Seeking records of how my dad earned an Infantry Medal
          Elliot Schneider Navigator

Sarah,

Usually Combat Infantry Badge, aka CIB were issued for the following reasons. They are listed ninth Army Regulations AR 600-8-22.  Some units did not publish orders for these badges. Over the years of research I've found some smaller unit put them into Orders at the HQ level. Some I have found on morning reports it all varies. They really do not have a description or narrative for why a soilders were given except if they met the following criteria below.

a. For award of the CIB a Soldier must meet the following three requirements:

(1) Be an infantryman satisfactorily performing infantry duties.

(2) Assigned to an infantry unit during such time as the unit is engaged in active ground combat.

(3) Actively participate in such ground combat. Campaign or battle credit alone is not sufficient for award of the CIB.

b. The specific eligibility criteria for the CIB require that

c. The CIB is authorized for award for the following qualifying wars, conflicts, and operations:

(1) World War II (7 December 1941 to 3 September 1945).

(2) The Korean War (27 June 1950 to 27 July 1953).

(3) Republic of Vietnam Conflict (2 March 1961 to 28 March 1973), combined with qualifying service in

Laos (19 April 1961 to 6 October 1962).

(4) Dominican Republic (28 April 1965 to 1 September 1966).

(5) Korea on the DMZ (4 January 1969 to 31 March 1994).

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

2 people found this helpful