2 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2020 7:58 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking records of how my dad earned an Infantry Medal


      I would like to know how my dad earned his Infantry Medal in the Korean War. Does anyone know how to find out the details about a loved ones Korean War Infantry Medal?

        • Re: Seeking records of how my dad earned an Infantry Medal
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Usually Combat Infantry Badge, aka CIB were issued for the following reasons. They are listed ninth Army Regulations AR 600-8-22.  Some units did not publish orders for these badges. Over the years of research I've found some smaller unit put them into Orders at the HQ level. Some I have found on morning reports it all varies. They really do not have a description or narrative for why a soilders were given except if they met the following criteria below.


          a. For award of the CIB a Soldier must meet the following three requirements:

          (1) Be an infantryman satisfactorily performing infantry duties.

          (2) Assigned to an infantry unit during such time as the unit is engaged in active ground combat.

          (3) Actively participate in such ground combat. Campaign or battle credit alone is not sufficient for award of the CIB.

          b. The specific eligibility criteria for the CIB require that

          c. The CIB is authorized for award for the following qualifying wars, conflicts, and operations:

          (1) World War II (7 December 1941 to 3 September 1945).

          (2) The Korean War (27 June 1950 to 27 July 1953).

          (3) Republic of Vietnam Conflict (2 March 1961 to 28 March 1973), combined with qualifying service in

          Laos (19 April 1961 to 6 October 1962).

          (4) Dominican Republic (28 April 1965 to 1 September 1966).

          (5) Korea on the DMZ (4 January 1969 to 31 March 1994).






          Elliot Schneider

          2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking records of how my dad earned an Infantry Medal
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

            Dear Ms. Condra,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We are unaware of a US military award called the Infantry Medal.  You may be referring to a Combat Infantry Badge (CIB).


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for soldiers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            The records in his OMPF may provide a citation for the general order that authorized the awarding of the CIB to your father. General orders for Army units during the Korean War era may be located in Command Reports, 1949 - 1954 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1981 (Record Group 407) and/or the Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338). Once you have the CIB citation from his OMPF, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov for assistance with locating the general order.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!