3 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2020 8:44 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking pre-1900 Postal Route maps

Ashley Gonzalez Newbie

I'm looking for Postal Route maps pre-1900 for Florida. Searching through the archives, I've found one digitized for 1911 under RG28 Published State Postal Route Maps, 1894 - 1957. I do not see any others for Florida. Is there another record group that might have these maps created by the topographer for the Postal Service?

• Re: Seeking pre-1900 Postal Route maps
          Jason Atkinson Navigator

Dear Ms. Gonzalez,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Published Regional Postal Route Maps, 1867 - 1894 that includes maps of Florida.  These records have not been digitized and are not available online. There may also be relevant maps in the Records of the Office of the Chief of Engineers (Record Group 77) which are not yet available online. For information about these records, please email the National Archives at College Park - Cartographic (RDSC) at carto@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSC. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

Ashley Gonzalez Newbie

Thank you so much for your answer. Using the catalog search, is there any way to identify which regions of Florida exist within the map set? Also, if I were to visit the College Park location (once it's been reopened) can I request the maps for viewing? I have never requested maps in the past. Many thanks

Jason Atkinson Navigator

Dear Ms. Gonzalez,

Thank you for posting your follow up request on History Hub!

Currently, the National Archives Catalog does not include that information. RDSS may have additional finding aids that can provide more information, however at present the staff is teleworking and do not have access to them. When the National Archives at College Park research rooms reopen, please email RDSS well in advance of your visit so the staff may provide you with additional information about the regions and time periods covered by the maps and inform you of any special procedures for requesting and/or copying them.

We hope this is helpful.