2 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2020 8:49 AM by Francisco Abril

    Seeking military records of Lawrence Gabisch & 2 brothers

    Francisco Abril Wayfarer

      I am looking for information on his military records.  He passed away in 1987, and no information regarding his service during WWII.  What I do know about my great uncle is that he enlisted on May 7, 1942 and made it to Sgt.  At some point or other he was with the 71st Infantry in Camp Carson, CO.  Any help locating his records, if available, would be greatly appreciated.  Larry was one of three brothers to enlist during WWII: Thomas J Gabisch (Enlisted on 16 Sep 1940 in the National Guard, Montana, serial number 20928373) and James W Gabisch, my grandfather (Enlisted in the USMC 15 Sep 1943, serial number 509709). Any help with any of them would be awesome!  Thank you!

        • Re: Seeking military records of Lawrence Gabisch & 2 brothers
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Mr. Abril,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The World War II Army Enlistment Records are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Electronic Records (RDE) and are available via AAD (Access to Archival Databases) on the National Archives website at. We searched the database and located records for GABISCH#LAWRENCE#C and GABISCH#THOMAS#J that may be a match for your relatives. The database does not include Marines.


          We suggest that you request copies of their Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a separate GSA Standard Form 180 for each of the three persons you are researching and mail them to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Because James W. Gabisch first enlisted in the Montana National Guard, the state of Montana may have a record of him. For access to personnel records of non-active duty Army National Guard enlisted personnel and officers, please contact the Montana State Headquarters,

          Maj. Gen. Matthew T. Quinn, Adjutant General at 406-324-3000 or via the website at http://montanaguard.net. Also, the Montana Historical Society serves as the official state archives of Montana and may be able to assist you with locating records. In addition, the Montana Military Museum may have information that would be of interest.


          Selective Service records for individuals who served after World War I and were born before 1960 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-0757. There are two types of records: cards and classification histories.  The individual Draft Registration Card (SSS Form 1) may contain information such as: name, Selective Service registration number, age, date and place of birth, ethnicity, place of residence at time of registration and basic physical description. The Classification History (SSS Form 102) may contain: name; date of birth; classification and date of mailing notice; date of appeal to the board; date and results of armed forces physical examination; entry into active duty or civilian work in lieu of induction (may include date, branch of service entered and mode of entry, such as enlisted or ordered); date of separation from active duty or civilian work; and general remarks. Please complete a Form NA-13172 to request a search of these records.


          For men who registered for the draft prior to 1976, all other individual draftee files besides the cards and classification histories were destroyed by the Selective Service System in 1978, in accordance with approved records retention schedules. Physical examination and test results, medical letters, laboratory work, and other medical documentation that may have been included in these files no longer exist.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL and RDT2. Also, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!