3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2020 1:52 PM by Jimmy L Cofield

Seeking WWI military information of family members

Rosalind Smith Newbie

Seeking military information on the following relatives that completed a WWI Draft card:

• My great grandfather Samuel Moses of Pierce County, GA
      • Great Uncle Jacob Brown of Tifton County, GA
      • Joseph Brown of Tifton County, GA
      • Amos Moses of Pierce County, GA.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. I also have photos of cemeteries in Tift County, GA.

• Re: Seeking WWI military information of family members
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Smith,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you request a copy of their Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a separate GSA Standard Form 180 for each of them and mail them to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You can also fax the form to 314-801-9195. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series titled Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 in the Records of the Selective Service System (World War I) (Record Group 163) that are in the custody of the National Archives at Atlanta (RE-AT). For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact RE-AT via email at atlanta.archives@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RE-AT. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

The WWI Draft Registration Cards have been digitized by Ancestry. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the National Archives has partnered with Ancestry to make the vast majority of their NARA-digitized holdings freely available to the public. Anyone with Internet access may create an account, access NARA records, and use other Ancestry resources, such as their educational offerings and family tree-maker application. For more information see Ancestry’s announcement -- “Free At-Home Education Resources From Ancestry® and Access to Nearly 500M National Archives Records”.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

2 people found this helpful
            Jimmy L Cofield Newbie

I have the same question.

I'm still searching for more information and pictures of my grandfather who served 1917 ro 1919 in "A" Company, 305th Quartermaster Battalion, World War I in France.

I found my grandfather's Draft Card in the 1920 Census while searching on MyHeritage website. Additionally, you may be able find their Draft Cards in Geogia WWI draftees 1917 to 1919. I found my grandfathers's name, City From, and county in the South Carolina WWI darftees list.

Much success in your search.

Susannah Brooks Scout

All men born between 1872 and 1900 had to register for the draft in 1917 or 1918.  The majority of those registered never served in the military.  If your ancestors lived until April 1930 (time of 1930 census), check that census.  One of the last questions asked (far right of an individual's record) was were they a veteran and if so, which war did they serve in.

1 person found this helpful