2 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2020 4:21 PM by Nancy McCaleb

    Seeking father's Distinguished Flying Cross citations


      I am seeking my father's Distinguished Flying Cross citations. Col. Alfred Francis McCaleb, Jr., was a U.S. Marine, a recipient of the Silver Star and four Distinguished Flying Crosses. I have found the Silver Star Award listed on the web, but not the DFC's.  He was a carrier-based pilot in the Pacific during WWII, and a reconnaissance pilot in the Korean conflict.  In Vietnam, he flew reconnaissance and combat flights in his beloved F8U Crusader, the carrier-based fighter he helped develop and test at the Naval Air Station Atlantic City in the late 1950's.  In 1957, he flew the first carrier to carrier transcontinental flight from the USS Bon Homme Richard sailing off the west coast to the USS Saratoga in the Atlantic in three hours and 28 minutes. President Eisenhower greeted him onboard. There was an article in SKYWAYS magazine, May, 1951, entitled "Wild Guy in an OY" describing his exploits in Korea and the mission that later won him the Silver Star. That article states that he was awarded three DFCs and two Air Medals for his achievements in Korea.  I don't know when the fourth DFC was awarded.  Thank you for any help you can give me!

        • Re: Seeking father's Distinguished Flying Cross citations
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. McCaleb,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). His OMPF should list the general orders for each of the citations. OMPFs and medical records of officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. Marine Corps who were separated from service after 1958 and prior to May 1994 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NRPC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Please be advised that due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!