1 Reply Latest reply on May 20, 2020 8:25 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking records about San Salvador

Anna Callis Newbie

Hello, I am a phd student doing research for my dissertation in political science. I am looking for correspondence between William Cafferty, stationed in San Salvador and the then Secretary of State Frank Kellogg. In other sources, I have found references to the following records in State Department  (Record Group 59) that I would like to locate: USNA - RG 59, decimal 816.00/624, decimal 816.00/627, and decimal 816.00/629. Is it possible to locate these records online, and if so could you indicate how to do so? I would really appreciate it!

• Re: Seeking records about San Salvador
          Jason Atkinson Navigator

Dear Ms. Callis,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The citations you gave are for documents in the record series Central Decimal Files, 1910 - 1963 in the General Records of the Department of State (Record Group 59). These documents are not available online. For access to these files, please email the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov and provide specific dates of interest.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

If you have not already done so, you may wish to review the Foreign Relations of the United States (FRUS) series published by the Department of State for documents related to your topic.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!