1 Reply Latest reply on May 20, 2020 1:31 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking video of World War II Home Support

Laurie Buniger Newbie

I remember many hears ago (1970-80s) watching a special on TV.  I believe it was narrated by Bob Hope about the war efforts at home (U.S.). As I recall the name to be "Life Looks at War".  They showed saving rubber, kids collecting tin cans, nylons, women working in plants while the men were away.  I have looked in as many places I can think of, Internet searches of Life magazine, Look magazine, War Efforts, PBS,  and have not found anything.  After receiving my last email from History Hub: National Archives at the Movies, I thought I would check here.

I remember the feeling after watching the TV special, of the sacrifices of all Americans during WWII, children, women, young and old.  This was something we were never taught about or told about in school.  I believe it would be a good thing to share again with America, for those who think we are suffering so much, going without, Freedoms we take for granted. Thank you

• Re: Seeking video of World War II Home Support
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Ms. Buniger,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the Internet Movie Database entry for Bob Hope however were unable to locate a listing for that title. The closest one that was a documentary concerning World War II was “Bob Hope: Memories of World War II.” We suggest that you contact the Library of Congress’s Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division (MBRS) and institutions such as the Paley Center For Media to search for information about documentaries produced by public or commercial television.

The motion picture holdings in the National Archives are primarily films created by federal agencies in the course of their activities.  There are also some collections of donated material. We searched the National Archives Catalog for “Bob Hope '' and located 3 series and 231 items, primarily related to Bob Hope’s participation in USO shows and other government sponsored activities. We were unable to locate the documentary you seek.

However, the National Archives does have a number of other films related to various aspects of the American Home front. For more information about NARA’s motion picture holdings, please  contact the National Archives at College Park - Motion Pictures (RDSM) via email at mopix@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSM. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!