1 Reply Latest reply on May 22, 2020 9:12 AM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking location of incident with Black American Soldiers

Susan Angland Newbie

My mother, a displaced person from Poland, who was living in Germany, told me a story about a troop of American soldiers (some or all black) who came across her and a friend, Sally, who reported to the Americans the location of Nazi soldiers who were hiding out in underground bunker with a steel door at the base of a hill. The Nazi hideout was bombed, and the Germans were taken as prisoners.

Across from the bunker was where she lived. There was a restaurant, a train stop/station, a motorcycle shop, and other stores.  She and her friend Sally took a motorcycle for a ride but didn't know how to stop. They crashed into bails of hay and were unhurt.  The American troops assisted them. My mother, who had never seen a black man, tried to wash his face.

I would like to be able to put a name to this location. It could be a rural stop anywhere between Bavaria or Wiesbaden. Other places she names that she lived were in or near Stuttgart.

I know there were some black units - the 5th Platoon of K Company 394th Infantry Regiment, E (Easy Company 60th Infantry Regiment, and F w/47th Infantry Regiment, G 39th Infantry Regiment,

• Re: Seeking location of incident with Black American Soldiers
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Angland,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) ( Record Group 338) that includes a file unit titled 39th Infantry Regiment: Unit History for 1917-1957.  We also located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1981 (Record Group 407) that may include records of the 394th Infantry Regiment, the 60th Infantry Regiment, the 47th Infantry Regiment, and the 39th Infantry Regiment for 1945. Records of lower echelon units sometimes were incorporated into the files of the regiment. For access to and/or copies of this/these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful