1 Reply Latest reply on May 15, 2020 10:35 AM by Thomas Richardson

    Seeking start and retire dates of service for grandfather


      I am working on a Memorial Day tribute for my Grandfather who retired as a Master Gunnery Sergeant in the United States Marine Corps. I wanted to find his service computation and retirement dates.  He retired with a Tank Battalion in Twentynine Palms, Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center.

        • Re: Seeking start and retire dates of service for grandfather
          Thomas Richardson Navigator

          Dear Ms. McGowan,


          Thank you for posting your request on the History Hub.


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. Marine Corps who were separated from service after 1940 and prior to May 1994 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NRPC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195 OR view the record by visiting the NPRC Archival Research Room in St. Louis, MO. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          You also may submit a Freedom of Information Act Request (FOIA) request to the National Personnel Records Center for basic military information that is releasable under FOIA guidelines. Please submit the same SF-180 to the NPRC and include “FOIA” under Section II, 2. Purpose, Explain here.


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          We hope this information is helpful.