6 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2020 10:07 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking records of Company B, 2nd Wisconsin Infantry

Jordan Deters Newbie

I'm looking for information regarding the 2nd Wisconsin Infantry, Company B, and their actions during the Battle of Blackburn's Ford, 18 Jul 1861.  I'm particularly interested in information regarding my 3rd Great-Grandfather, Gotthelf Wilhelm Wenzel.  He survived being struck in the face by an artillery shell that killed Myron Gardiner, the first "three years soldier" from Wisconsin killed in the Civil War.  Conflicting reports as to the sequence of impacts the shell made.  One suggests it struck Wenzel first, then struck Gardiner and removed his leg.  The other suggests it struck Gardiner, a tree, and then Wenzel.  Wenzel's survival of the incident resulted in his case being documented in a medical journal. Any information or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I should note that Wenzel's first name is incorrectly spelled as 'Gotthilf' in the "Roster of Wisconsin volunteers, war of the rebellion, 1861-1865".  As previously mentioned, his first name was spelled Gotthelf. Thanks