1 Reply Latest reply on May 27, 2020 1:41 PM by Sylvia Naylor

Seeking information on first female dog handlers in USAF

Catherine Trump Newbie

I am seeking knowledge about female dog handlers in USAF, 1974-1975. I know in October 1975, there were 21 female dog handlers in the USAF, according to the  In - Country News published 10/29/1975, Kunsan AB, Korea. What I am curious about is how many were patrol dog handlers, how many drug dog handlers, and how many were bomb dog handlers? I was one of the drug dog handlers. I was curious what number I was out of the first 21, 5th, 10th, 21st? I don't know if it is possible to find out this information. I have not been successful so far.

• Re: Seeking information on first female dog handlers in USAF
          Sylvia Naylor Adventurer

Dear Ms. Trump,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog for any records on “dog handlers” and “USAF.”  The search produced the following results.  The dog handlers in the U.S. Air Force were part of the Security Police.  We also searched for any materials on Security Police in the Records of Headquarters U.S. Air Force (Record Group 341) and in the Records of U.S. Air Force Commands, Activities, and Organizations (Record Group 342).  The search results may be viewed here and here.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

In addition, we suggest that you write to the Air Force Historical Research Agency, 600 Chennault Circle, Building 1405, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL  36112-6424. The web site is https://www.afhra.af.mil/ as they may have information on female dog handlers during the 1970s.  Plus, please review the article Military Working Dog (MWD) Program on the USAF Police Alumni Association website that lists the members of the first all women MWD exhibition team.

We hope this information is helpful.  Best of luck with your research!