9 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2020 1:49 PM by Paul Breaux

Seeking OMPF & IDPF of Wilson Guidry

Paul Breaux Newbie

My cousin's name is Wilson W. Guidry, who was born in 1921, and was killed in April 1945, on Luzon, Philippines during WWII. I was born 7 years afterwards, and as such, am the oldest surviving relative he has. His headstone is in the Church cemetery, next to his grandparents headstone, but neither have an above ground tomb. His grandfather passed when I was 8, and I remember the burial, as he was placed in an underground vault along with his wife. So that I know for certain. But I now realize, Wilson's headstone is there, but is anyone buried underground? There are no Church records of anyone, actually being buried, back in those days. So, although they have his plot marked, they have no info if anyone was even buried there.

I tried to get his personal records from St. Louis, but was informed his records were destroyed by a fire, along with countless others. I just found out about the Burial Records existing, so there may be some info in them, as to what actually happened for his burial. At 68, I'm the oldest relative who is still alive, so there is no one, who remembers the actual burial, if one happened. So what I am trying to do, is try and learn where he is buried, and what info on I can get on the unit he served on. He was a Pfc with the 161st Infantry Regiment, and all I know, all we know, is that he was killed on Luzon. So, any details of what happened to him, would be appreciated. if there is a need for any more info on him, please contact me and I'll try and get it. Thank you.

• Re: Seeking OMPF & IDPF of Wilson Guidry
          joan stachnik Scout

HI Paul, I found this article in the "Kaplan Herald" from April 9, 2014. There was also an article from Familysearch.org (see below). Sorry if this is duplicate information. If you have not already done so, you should request his IDPF (or burial case file) from the National Archives (I think it is a different request form than service files). It should have information about when his remains were returned home. Hope this is of some help or interest.  joan

Paul Breaux Newbie

I just saw your reply, and many, many Thank You's, for it. I missed the story you said was in the April 09, 2014 edition of the Kaplan Herald. And the facts of his losing his life. But most importantly to me, I now know what he looked like. To me, the Herald photo, has more of a resemblance to his brother Harry, while the Family Search photo, leans more to his other brother, Norris. And now I know he was buried in the Philippines, but was later brought back here to Kaplan, and reburied. At least I have peace of mind, knowing that his Head Stone, is an actual MARKER for him, and not just a MONUMENT for his service to us. I'm not sure of how familiar you are with the Church Cemetery, but his Head Stone is next to the Head Stone, of his grandparents. They were buried underground in a vault, and now I know that he was also. His father and maternal grandfather he's buried next to, have the exact same names. I knew his grandfather, but his father passed away before I was born. His mother and father, are buried in the newer part of the cemetery, with them next to and facing the street. Thank you so very much for this, at lease now I have a part of what I was searching for.

If you're able to see all of this page, there is a copy of the application made for his Head Stone, that was also added to this search. So, every little bit helps. I had tried back a few years back, to try and get a copy of his Personal Records from The National Personnel Record Center in St. Louis, but their reply a bit later, was that they were sorry, but his was one of countless military records, that were destroyed in a fire at their location. And their letter, gave me a few options I could try, to see if they had some type of info on him or his Unit, the 161 Infantry. I just found out a couple days ago, from the New York Public Library, that there are actual Burial Files, located in another building, but when I contacted them, I got an automated reply that because of Covid-19, they are closed for business, until a later time. That was followed by a personal addition, that they are aware of my effort to try and gather info on him, and as soon as they will reopen, then they will try and find that info for me. And if found, they'll contact me, with a price I'll have to pay, to get a copy of them. I don't know the cost they speak of, but I'll be waiting to see if I have any more contact from them.

You may also know, that I had contact the Military Museum here in Abbeville, trying to see if they have had any info on him, and the records keeper, an elderly man, said he had never heard of Wilson W. Guidry, and he'd try on his end to find something, and if I should find some info, to please give it to him, so Wilson could be added to the Veterans who already have their records in place for viewing. So, your info and effort, was a really nice thing to happen, and I appreciate it, a LOT.

Paul

joan stachnik Scout

Hi Paul, glad I could be of some help in your search. Hopefully you will be able to get his IDPF from the Archives at some point in the near future.   joan

joan stachnik Scout

Paul, I found one more photo of your cousin. It is from the Abbeville Meridional 28 Apr 1945. You also might want to check the Gueydan News from Aug 21, 1948. There might be information on his memorial service. I found the article on Newspapers.com but I do not subscribe to that website. joan

Photo

Paul Breaux Newbie

Joan, thank you once again. I must confess, using the newspapers, and my not trying, makes my face a bit red. But I must admit, you have a serious desire to provide help for people. If you read the story in the Meridinal, it's not quite accurate, as to his siblings. He had two brothers, Harry and Norris, but he also had two sisters - Wanda is the one mentioned, but Harry told me they had another sister, who died as a baby, in the early 1920's. He told me this about in 2005, when he asked me, very sincerely, to please try and find her burial grave. Most families in the 1920's, were poor and needy, which his family was. He said to save money they did not have, they were to bury her inside a grave that had someone buried in it already. And again, memory failed to recall just who she was placed with. But he did say it was in the Cossinade Cemetery, and he wished to go and pray to her, and tell her goodbye. I spoke with some older friends of his, who he hoped might have a memory of it, but no one knew anything. Harry passed away, and it was afterwards, I contacted the Rectory at Holy Rosary, and they actually had a Death Certificate on her, plus had that she was buried in another cemetery, not the one Harry thought she was at. I got a copy of her paper, and found the man who was the caretaker of the grass and other cemetery duty, and he admitted, I'd probably never find the grave she had been placed in. Long time ago, there were no head stones, and some of the graves had cement added on top of the graves. But the markers they had to tell you who's grave it was, was either wood that had rotted, or old metal made into a marker. Those, had all rusted over, so who was in which grave, was a MYSTERY. He said a few families had taken the wet cement, and had written the info on that. If you take 35 N. out Kaplan, in two miles, hwy. 700 is on the right, you turn on it, and about 1/4 mile down, you'll see where an old canal used to be. The cemetery on the right, is the one I speak of. I always meant to go and walk by each grave, trying to find a clue to where she was placed, but I never did.

Wilson's mother, Azelie, was a sister to my grandmother, and they had three more sisters, one who married a man from Perry, and in fact, had moved to Patterson, to farm, which shocked me when I found that out. I always thought they had lived in Perry, and no where else, but they had. Trying to put together a record of all the relatives, I found on the headstone where she and her husband, was buried, a THIRD NAME. I went to the rectory at Mary Magdalen, and their records told me, the third name was a daughter, I never knew they had. She had been killed when she was about 9, when her friends ran across hwy. 90, in front of a car, and the car, killed her. The info I got and copies of it, was through the Newspaper Archive, in Baton Rouge, who LSU runs. There, every issue of every newspaper ever printed in La., has a copy stored away. It cost me a few dollars, but after I wrote all the details that I could, they found exactly what I wanted. Is that the same as your NEWSPAPERS.COM is?

This is long, but I tried to find an email link in your History profile page, but I couldn't. This is more info than you'll ever need, but I guess all families have certain odd events or issues, and this one's ours. Again, Joan, thank you so much.

Paul

Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Paul,

Most individualswho were killed did not officially receive discharge papers. There are other secondary sources such as the IDPFS, Morning Reports, Orders, After Action Reports, and award cards.

Individual Deceased Personnel Files (IDPFs) from 1940-1976 for personnel with surnames that begin with A-L are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. For access to these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

1 person found this helpful
                      Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Paul,

Found his service number and information from headstone application, which if you have not obtained his service number shows on the application. You will need this for some other documents that you will want to request.

Thanks,

Elliot

Sylvia Naylor Scout

Dear Mr. Breaux,

Thank you for posting your inquiry on History Hub!

The information you seek may be contained in Mr. Guidry’s Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). IDPFs from 1940-1976 for personnel with surnames that begin with A-L are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. For access to these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.

Since you were informed that the personnel records of Mr. Guidry were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You can also fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

Finally, you might want to look into the Headstone Applications. Headstone Applications from 1925 to June 1970 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. For access to these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL and NPRC. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful.  Best of luck with your family research!