1 Reply Latest reply on May 27, 2020 10:02 AM by Sylvia Naylor

Seeking transcripts of USCG Active

Katherine Van Niman Newbie

I am seeking transcripts of the USCG Active, 20-21 Jan 1975, pertaining to attempted rescue with CCG Alert, CCG Narwhal, and HMS Assiniboine in the North Atlantic, and the cargo ship Barma. I am researching family history of my dad and his crew who were rescued from their sinking ship, Barma, on Jan 20-21 1975.  I have newspaper clippings from Canadian press and the memoirs of his wife, Barbara Van Niman, who was on board as ship's cook.  They left Halifax on Jan 17th.

I just don't know where to look for information about the ships which were on the scene.  There was also a Soviet fishing trawler, Chechen, who pulled pumps out of the water to help with the rescue. I thought if I could get copies of the radio communications between the ships, Boston CG station, and CCG, it would help me with the narrative of this event. Thank you for any help you can give me.

• Re: Seeking transcripts of USCG Active
          Sylvia Naylor Scout

Dear Ms. Van Niman,

Thank you for posting your inquiry on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Cutter and Station Logs, 1952 - 1999 in the Records of the United States Coast Guard (Record Group 26) that include the log of Active (WMEC-618) for 11/1/1974 - 8/31/1975. For access to these logs and other records, please contact the National Archives at Boston (RE-AT) via email at boston.archives@nara.gov

We also located Reports of Search and Rescue Actions, 1954 - 1992 that may include the rescue and the Cutter Files, 1941 - 1994 in Record Group 26 that include files of the Active (Box 1). For access to and/or copies of these records and others, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RE-AT and RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

For the records of the CCG vessels and possible reports of the rescue, we suggest that you contact the Library and Archives of Canada.

We hope this information is helpful.  Best of luck with your research!