19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2020 5:46 PM by Joyce Ehrbar

Seeking 1880 German immigration record for Julius Gerbert

Joyce Ehrbar Wayfarer

Julius Gerbert, born on 18 May 1870, is my great-grandfather. His immigration is shown as 1880 on U.S. Census records from 1900, 1920, 1930 and 1940.  I was always told that Julius was a young boy who arrived in the United States without his parents. There are records for his entire adult life (after marriage), residing in Holyoke, Massachusetts, and his year of immigration was identical on every census record (1880), but I don’t know where in Germany that he was born, or where he arrived in the States.  I’ve never had any luck finding any immigration records.  Can someone help me in my quest to discover why such a young boy arrived alone, or if he arrived with other family? He was just too young to be alone.  Thank you!

• Re: Seeking 1880 German immigration record for Julius Gerbert
          Alice Lane Tracker

Hi Joyce,

I found your family's family tree on familysearch.org. It appears that they are from Baden, Baden, Germany It is a free website but you will need to join to search. Here is a link to family tree.

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedigree/landscape/L4RT-FGN

Did not find immigration record yet.

Good luck

and Best wishes

Alice

Joyce Ehrbar Wayfarer

Dear Alice,

I greatly  appreciate your response, but the FamilySearch record is not accurate.  Johann Gerber and his wife are NOT the parents of Julius and I’m surprised they were part of the tree at this site.  Johann’s birth is 1866; my great-grandfather was born in 1870... to a 4-year-old father?  His marriage record also indicates that Johann and Theresia were married in 1894... by 1880, Julius was in the United States.  I always thought the Church of Jesus Christ Latter-day Saints was a superior source for accurate genealogy records, but apparently the information being posted by their contributors is not being checked for accuracy... a major disappointment.  I honestly don’t know where else to look.

Most sincerely, Joyce Ehrbar

Alice Lane Tracker

Hi again,

I tried another search, but unfortunately, like you was unable to find any other information.

A real mystery.

Good Luck

Best Wishes

Alice

Michael Palmer Wayfarer

If Julius entered the United States through Boston in or about 1880, you will not find a record of his arrival, as the passenger arrival lists for the 9 years from 31 March 1874 and to April 1883 no longer exist.

Several genealogies on Ancestry state that Julius was born in "Boden", but I cannot find this word in any of the documents to which this statement points. Does this, or a similar, word appear in any document (and if so, can you post an image, or URL) or is this just "noise"?

Also, (1) what religious affiliation is Julius, and does the church record (not the "Town Record) of the marriage list any family particulars (date/place of birth, names of parents); and (2) do you have a copy of Julius's original registration with Social Security?

1 person found this helpful
                    Joyce Ehrbar Wayfarer

I wasn’t aware of the missng Boston records.  I can’t thank you enough for your interest in helping me.  Even though my Dad, his grandson, grew up in the same town as his father’s family, he was raised by his maternal French grandparents and was never allowed to associate with “those Germans.”  It’s sad to think about how deeply that prejudice hurt so many in the family.  Julius’ son, Edward, a WWI veteran, and the keeper of the family records, died at age 103 and his files were destroyed... his daughter-in-law told me, “No one wanted those old papers.”  I do know the family was Lutheran, so I will write to the church in Holyoke.  The only mention of Julius’ parents was on his marriage certificate, but since Julius was illiterate, the clerk apparently tried spelling by what she heard (and he had a heavy German accent)... Gerbert was changed to Garbot, and his parents were listed as John and Theresa.  The FamilySearch site listed a Johann and Theresia Gerber, but that was incorrect info, since the father listed was only 4 years older than Julius and the couple were married years after Julius was in the States.

I guess I may never know where he immigrated from, but I was always more interested in learning his personal story... why he arrived alone at such a young age.

My heartfelt gratitude for your responses, Joyce Ehrbar

Nalia Warmack Wayfarer

Hello!

I tried running 'Julius Gerbert' and alternate spellings of his name through the Ellis Island passenger search - unfortunately without any results. Spelling mistakes not being uncommon, he could still have come through New York so I am afraid it does not add much knowledge.

I do know of a resource that might prove useful in identifying where in Germany Mr. Gerbert was from. If you know the names of his parents you can try running it through this sight: http://www.adressbuecher.net/addressbooks

It is essentially a collection of historic address books. If you can find a round about location you could then search here: http://data.matricula-online.eu/en/  for further records. It is an archive of digitized baptismal, death, birth, and marriage records - mainly Germany with surrounding European countries. Unfortunately, it is only searchable by location not name.  

Wish I could help more. Best of luck!

Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Ehrbar,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

In each of the U.S. Census records, his citizenship status is noted as “alien.”  According to the Massachusetts Death Index on Ancestry, he lived until 1948.  Therefore, he would have been required to submit an Alien Registration Form (AR-2) between August and December 1940 per requirements of the Alien Registration Act.  On the AR-2, immigrants had to provide details about their entry to the US (date, port, name of vessel, etc).  The information recorded on his AR-2 should be helpful in tracking down the formal passenger arrival record. 

The AR-2 form (and any other existing documentation created by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS)) may be requested through the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Genealogy Program (www.uscis.gov/genealogy).

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

[Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]

3 people found this helpful
                          Joyce Ehrbar Wayfarer

I honestly don’t know how to adequately express my gratitude for the outstanding information you provided.  I’ve visited the site and gladly paid the $65 fee to obtain the Alien Registration Index, required to begin a records search.  This information has given me a genuine ray of hope that I might actually find Julius’ place of birth :-). 

I’m overwhelmed by the kindness of the individuals on this site who were willing to help me, and the number of responses that offered such an incredible wealth of knowledge about researching an immigrant relative. 

If this avenue works, I’ll definitely let everyone know.  THANK YOU!!!  THANK YOU!!!

Joyce Ehrbar Wayfarer

I just had to write and THANK YOU once again.  I submitted an Index Search by using the link you provided for the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (Dept. of Homeland Security) and yesterday, I received a favorable response with a Case Number and his AR-2 Form file number!!  THEY HAVE HIS RECORD!!!  Of course, I immediately clicked on their link to order the genealogy copy.  I am so excited!!  After spending several years trying to search for his birthplace, I’m so close to obtaining that knowledge. 

I‘m so grateful to Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert, for providing this information, to you for sharing it, and to  this incredible site for all of the helpful information I received.  I’ll let you know when I receive the record... seemed like an eternity waiting for the Search Index results, but they actually responded quite promptly.

God bless!  Joyce Ehrbar

ellimac Newbie

Hi Joyce,

I came across your post and i researched on Ancestry.com . Do you have an account there? I happened across a family that lists Julius J Gerber i came across the following:

Julius J Gerbert

Birth: 18 May 1870 Boden, Amberg-Sulzbach, Bayern, Germany

Marriage :11 Oct 1890 Holyoke, Hampden, Massachusetts, USA

Residence: 1940 Holyoke, Hampden, Massachusettes, USA

Death: 16 Mar 1948 Holyoke, Hampden, Massachusetts, USA

Parent as Johann Gerbert and mother as Mary Emma Dressel (1869-1952)

?? This is all i could find dear..I wish you the best... i will ck periodically Good day,

Catherine E

Joyce Ehrbar Wayfarer

I‘ve had an account on Ancestry for several years.  Although the dates (birth, marriage, death) are accurate, the other information is not.  Julius’ mother was not Mary Dressel, she was his wife.  If you click on any of the trees with location information for Julius (other than the country, Germany, which can be verified with census recirds), you won’t find any with a source.  I’ve often wondered why people post locations without any valid documentation (just blindly accepting info found on someone else’s tree).  I know someone mentioned FamilySearch indicated his father was Johann Gerber, but that individual was only 4 years older than Julius...  very doubtful about the paternity :-).

I deeply appreciate your interest in helping me.  I’m still hoping I’ll eventually obtain some factual records with his birth information.... but after all these years, I’m quite certain, I won’t find this information with an Ancestry search. 

Alice Lane Tracker

Hi Joyce,

Found a family tree on Ancestry owned by Melissa Bolton.

https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/2872206/person/56000406280/facts

Noticed that Julius had not become a naturalized US citizen in 1930 census. Do you know whether he did?

Was his first name Johann or John

There are 18 family trees that he is in on Ancestry.

This could be your Julius.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KDQV-KHP

Best Wishes,

Alice Lane

Volunteer Researcher

Joyce Ehrbar Wayfarer

Hello Alice!

I apologize for my delayed response... busy with family visiting from out-of-state.  I just can’t thank you enough for your kindness in helping me.  Melissa Bolton was one of my DNA matches on Ancestry.  Julius Gerbert was married to Mary Dressel, and Melissa and I are related in the Dressel family tree.  I wrote asking her for the source info for the birthplace she has listed for Julius; she responded that she’s still searching for it.  I just noticed, however, she’s edited Julius’ place of birth to “Germany.”

To answer your questions, the 1940 Census still indicates Julius was an Alien; he never became a naturalized citizen.  I recently requested a search for the AR-2 Form that he would have been required to complete in 1940, but no results yet.  Keeping my fingers crossed!

Julius Gerbert’s parents are listed as “John and Theresa” on his marriage certificate.  Julius had a son, John J. Gerbert (1894-1958), my grandfather.  Unfortunately, the FamilySearch link is not my Julius; I know Julius was in the States in 1880.  That site originally listed his father as Johann from Boden, Germany, and I’m amazed by the number of researchers who copied this erroneous information, since that particular Johann would have been 4 years old when Julius was born.  Once there was a location posted, it was copied on numerous trees with shared hints on Ancestry.  If the father’s info was wrong, I can’t accept the location as being accurate... hope that makes sense.  I continue to pray, I can locate a valid source.

Thank you again, Joyce Ehrbar

Joyce Ehrbar Wayfarer

Re:  ANSWERED

My quest is over!  I am SO GRATEFUL to everyone who responded on this exceptionally helpful site!!!  Rebecca Collier had sent a message about obtaining a copy of my great-grandfather’s Alien Registration Form (AR-2).  I sent my first Search Request with the $65 fee back in May.  I’m sure the pandemic is slowing down this process, but the first search found his form!  I then paid the second $65 fee to obtain a copy... and today, September 17, 2020, a printed form arrived in the mail.  It indicated my great-grandfather arrived at Castle Gardens in New York, and he was from Baden, Germany.  Several questions were answered with “don’t know”; (what province he was born in; the name of vessel he arrived on), and unfortunately, parents names were only requested if living in the United States, but I can’t begin to describe the joy I felt reading the answered responses... and seeing his signature (I always thought he was illiterate).

I am filled with joy!!  After searching for decades, I know where he was from and where he arrived!!

THANK YOU!!  THANK YOU TO ALL!!!  May God bless this site with continued success in helping others find the history they seek for their ancestors.

Most sincerely,

Joyce Ehrbar