3 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2020 11:41 AM by Rebecca Collier Branched to a new discussion.

    Seeking dad's complete WWII military record


      I found the basic information on my dad's military record but I am looking for more detailed information. When he first went to Europe, where he was stationed, and if he saw combat, and when he came back to the states. I'd like to follow his footsteps if possible. Like many vets, he did not speak of the war.

        • Re: Seeking dad's complete WWII military record
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Have you requested his military records yet? If you have not done do, I suggest requesting it will give you much needed answers you are seeking.




          • Re: Seeking dad's complete WWII military record
            joan stachnik Tracker

            HI Paul, I had the same questions about my dad's WWII service. He spoke little of his experiences overseas. Assuming you know your dad's unit, morning reports are the best way to see exactly where he likely was during the war. These will summarize the unit/company daily activities, and also list personnel changes (eg, transfers, list of wounded or killed in action, etc). Fortunately my dad was with the same unit throughout the war, so this made searching a bit easier. The disadvantage is that MRs are not available online, so I ended up going to the St. Louis Archives where these records are held. I don't think you can request them either.


            You might try also searching for veteran's groups (or descendants of veterans) on social media. Often these groups are able to help with some information. I found quite a few for airborne units (my dad was in the 82nd). They helped me in starting my search. What unit was your dad with? joan

            • Re: Seeking dad's complete WWII military record
              Rebecca Collier Ranger

              Dear Mr. Murphy,


              Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


              A file, such as you seek, has to be compiled. We suggest that you begin by requesting a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You can also fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


              Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


              If his OMPF lists the unit he served in, then please request access to his unit’s operation reports. Most of the unit records for Army units are part of the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1981 (Record Group 407) and/or the Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) ( Record Group 338). Both series are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2). The records will indicate what the unit did. They do not include information specifically about the individual soldiers that served in the unit.


              To determine what operations your father served in, please request copies of his unit’s morning report and rosters. Morning reports from November 1, 1912 to 1959 and copies of most of the monthly rosters from November 1912 - 1943 and 1947 - 1959 for Army units are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). Rosters for Army units serving in World War II from 1944 - 1946 were destroyed in accordance with Army disposition authorities.


              We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


              1 person found this helpful