1 Reply Latest reply on May 18, 2020 7:49 PM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking surviving relatives of Michael DiBlasi

Giampaolo DiGregorio Newbie

On May 9, 1945, the USS England (DE-635), a US Navy destroyer, was attacked by kamikaze off of Okinawa. Among those KIA was Michael T. DiBlasi, a Naval Reservist from Dorchester, MA. A few years ago, I found this dog tag, made out of an Australian coin. How would I go about trying to find if there are any surviving relatives? I have done some basic research, found parents name and address, but can't get beyond that. I would like to return this item to the family, if possible.

• Re: Seeking surviving relatives of Michael DiBlasi
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. DiGregorio,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) does not provide services to locate living individuals.  The records in the custody of NARA were typically transferred from other Federal agencies at least 20-30 years after they were created and used.  Therefore, NARA records are not usually helpful in providing current information about individuals.

Here are a few How-to Books and articles on Finding Living Persons:

• Gormley, Myra Vanderpool.  "20th Century Military Records."  Heritage Quest 10 (May-June 1987) 3-7.
          • Hinckley, Kathleen W.  "Locating the living: Twentieth Century Research Methodology."  National Genealogical Society Quarterly 77 (September 1989): 186-196.
          • Johnson, Richard S.  How to Locate Anyone Who Is or Has Been in the Military, Eighth Edition.  Fort Sam Houston, TX:  Military Information Enterprises, 1999.
          • Martin, Amy Suzanne.  "Playing Detective: How Government Records and the Freedom of Information Act Can Help You Locate a Missing Person."  Heritage Quest 7 (July-August 1991): 7-8.

There is a website of The National Association of Destroyer Veterans that assist you in finding family members.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful