10 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2020 11:58 PM by Barbara Hall

Seeking manifest of Ship Trumball with NY arrival 8 May 1855

Barbara Hall Newbie

Often times people from the same village traveled on board the same ships. I am seeking information about Jacob Ros and Lisette Ros who are recorded on the SS Trumball manifest as being from “Baden.” They arrived in NY on 8 MAy 1855. I am unable to find additional information about them. I wish to contact other researchers who have family from Baden on this ship’s voyage. Thank you. This may allow me to start researching the Ros’ originating village/city.

• Re: Seeking manifest of Ship Trumball with NY arrival 8 May 1855
          Michael Palmer Wayfarer

You will find a copy of the passenger manifest for the sailing ship (note that SS stands for "steamship") Trumbull, signed 8 May 1855, at https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939V-51YB-4?i=43&wc=MX62-XZQ%3A165781101&cc=1849782 . Jacob Ros, age 28, and Lisette Ros, age 24, passengers 41 and 42 in the 2nd cabin, appear at https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939V-51T5-L?i=49&wc=MX62-XZQ%3A165781101&cc=1849782  (frame 50). Of the other passengers listed as from Baden in the 2nd cabin, Xavier Flaig (#48) is from Schramberg, Württemberg; Julius Nathan (#50) is from Ilvesheim; and Leopold Speitel and Friedrich Schlegelmilch (#'s 56 and 57) are from Jöhlingen.

Because Jacob and Lisette's names do not appear adjacent to others from Baden, it is most probable that they emigrated alone, and did not know any other emigrants from Baden on the voyage.

If you can provide what specific information you have on Jacob and Lisette that you have from US sources (date of birth, where settled, when/where died, religious affiliation [very important], etc.) it might be possible to identify them in Baden sources.

Barbara Hall Newbie

Michael,

Thank for for your response. The next record we have for these people is the baptismal record of their second child born in Chicago in October 1856 (St Michaels’s Roman Catholic Church). Their daughter was born in Chicago in Sept. 1855, so Lisette was pregnant on the Steamship Trumbull. The LDS either did not copy St Michael’s Church records prior to 1856, or they do not exist. The  Church opened before 1855. Her son’s record of 1856 has her name as “Elizabeth,” and every record thereafter has her name as Elizabeth. Lisette/Elizabeth was not a Catholic as shown below.

Jacob died between 1856-1859. There were two epidemics in Chicago during those years, so that may have been his demise. I cannot find a church death record or a public death record. The Catholic cemetery relocated from Chicago to then rural Evanston in 1859. Their 19th century records had no listing for him.

Elizabeth remarried and relocated to Rochester, NY, where her second husband’s (also a Catholic from Baden) family had settled. They had their own set of children all who received Catholic baptisms with the notation, “ex-Catholica” (i.e. not Catholic) besides Elizabeth’s name on each record. Elizabeth was buried in a Rochester public cemetery in 1899; two months later, her husband was buried in a Catholic cemetery. We know her DOB from the gravestone: 6 May 1831.

Elizabeth’s maiden name was Dendinger. I do not know if she was French Alsatian or also from Baden. Lisette can be both a French and Germanic name; Dendinger can be Alsatian French or Germanic, too.

The Haut Rhin and Bas Rhin records are not indexed, so it would involve looking at 800 village records to possibly find her birth—assuming she is French.

I have no further info on Jacob’s parents or Elizabeth’s parents. They are my great great grandparents, so if you can assist me in any way, your help would be very appreciated. I descend from their son George (1856-1902).  He must assumed the name Hall upon his mother’s remarriage. I don’t think formal adoption would have been necessary circa 1859-1860. He was probably under age 3.

Thank you for any input and assistance.

Best Wishes,

Barb Hall

North Carolina

Michael Palmer Wayfarer

(1) Jacob and Elisabeth/Lisette were traveling in the 2nd cabin, so it is very unlikely that they were traveling with relatives in the first cabin or in steerage.

(2) The 4 passengers preceding and 1 passenger following Jacob and Lisette on the passenger list are listed as from France. If you have reason to believe Elisabeth/Lisette is from Alsace, you should consider the possibility that if she and Jacob were traveling with relatives, these were not his relatives from Baden, but her relatives from France. You might therefore want to explore the origins of these French passengers as well as the other French passengers in the 2nd cabin.

(3) What is the documentation that Elisabeth/Lisette's surname is Dendinger? Are there multiple documents, and, if so, do they consistently spell the surname "Dendinger" (the usual form of the surname in Europe is "Dentinger", with a "t" rather than a "d")?

(4) Dendinger/Dentinger is not a Baden surname.

(a) Ancestry's "Baden, Germany, Lutheran Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1502-1985" database, an index to Baden Protestant church registers that contains 26 million entries, contains only a handful of Dendinger/Dentinger listings, and those I have checked are errors for "Dertinger":

(b) The online database to the holdings of the Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg (https://www2.landesarchiv-bw.de/ofs21/suche/ ) contains only 1 Dendinger and 2 Dentinger listings, only one from before the 20th century, and none of them relating to Baden.

(c) There are no Dendinger/Dentinger entries in the "Emigration from Southwest-Germany" database at http://www.auswanderer-bw.de/index.php?sprache=en&suche=1&PHPSESSID=mnh8nvv9frsrtafgrv09koiuq5 

(4) The surname Dentinger does, however, appear in Alsace, particularly in northern Bas-Rhin, near the border with Germany, and a Dentinger family from Aschbach, Bas-Rhin, emigrated to North America in 1863 (Cornelia Schrader-Muggenthaler, The Alsace Emigration Book, vol. 2 [Apollo, Pennsylvania: Closson Press, 1991], p. 49).

(5) If you have not already done so, investigate the immigrant Dendinger/Dentingers in Rochester: one or more of them may possibly be a sibling or cousin of Elisabeth/Lisette who followed her to America after she had moved from Chicago to Rochester.

(6) While the civil records fo Bas-Rhin and Haut-Rhin are not indexed, it is still possible to search them:

(a) Begin by searching the "Alsace-Lorraine, Germany, French Citizenship Declarations (Optants), 1872" database on Ancestry for the surname Dendinger/Dentinger. Note the localities in which these forms appear, then go to the online civil registration records for Bas-Rhin (http://archives.bas-rhin.fr/registres-paroissiaux-et-documents-d-etat-civil/ ) and for Haut-Rhin (http://www.archives.haut-rhin.fr/search?preset=44&view=list  ), and search the Tables décennales for 1823-1832 for each locality .

(b) In a "worst case" scenario it is not impossible to check all the civil birth registers in  Alsace. The registers are indexed in Tables décennales, so with practice and familiarity it is possible to search for a birth in or around 1831 in each locality in just a minute or two.

1 person found this helpful
                      Michael Palmer Wayfarer

Three further points I forgot to address:

(1) As I write above, the Trumbull was a sailing ship, not a steamship: 856 tons, built in Mystic, Connecticut, in 1850 [New-York Marine Register 1857, page 66, https://research.mysticseaport.org/item/l0237571857/72/ ].

(2) The usual term in Roman Catholic church registers for someone not born Catholic is "a-Catholicus"; "ex-Catholica" suggests that Elisabeth/Lisette was formerly Catholic (I notice that the 1856 record of the baptism of her son Georg in the registers of St. Michael in Chicago--which gives the spelling of her maiden surname as "Dentinger"--makes no note that she is not Roman Catholic, https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DTY9-NRM?i=378&cat=415445 ). However, "ex-Catholica/us" may be a specific usage of the church in Rochester. In any case, Elisabeth/Lisette's religious affiliation is immaterial when researching French civil records.

(3) Have you located the record of Elisabeth/Lisette's marriage to Joseph Hall, and if you have, would it be possible for you to post an image, or, if it is accessible on line, a URL for it?

Barbara Hall Newbie

1) As soon as I hit "send," I realized I did not correct the Trumbull reference to a sailing ship. Sorry. I can almost hearing those giant sails flapping now under the direction of Captain Pratt.

2) I also rechecked my records and the terminology used was "a-Catholica" to indicate she, indeed, did not belong to the Roman Catholic Church. The Chicago priest may not have asked the parents if they were Catholic; the Rochester priest was more vigilant, and his record is helpful in my hunt.   

3) I have looked for years for the Hall-Ros marriage record. It is not recorded in civil records in Illinois or church records that I can find there either. Nor does it show up in Rochester records. I also looked in civil records in other Midwestern states without success. I am a bit less interested in finding this document because I share no DNA with Joseph Hall, although I carry his good name. My greater priority is finding information on Lisette/Elizabeth Dendinger/Dentinger and Jacob Ros(s). Hence, this is on my back burner.

4) You are not the first to suggest her name may be Dentinger. There is a wide variety of spellings of her name  in multiple documents throughout the 19th century, but the second D appears on more occasions than it does not. Many years ago I tried to establish a link between another Dendinger family in Rochester, but came up empty handed. I looked at the St. Michael's Church baptismal record, and I think you must be reading that "slashing" line through Dendinger as the cross of a T?  Sometimes we see want we want to see. In this case, I may be wanting to see a D.  

Most important is your well-supported conviction that Dentinger is not a Baden name. I have spent hundreds of hours and found success, too, looking at Haut-Rhin records for my maternal great great grandfather. The name Dentinger/Dendinger and other variant spellings was sprinkled through that area. It surely has an Alsatian feel to me. Thank you for sending me back west across the Rhine on my search. My earlier sentence, "Dendinger can be Alsatian French or Germanic, too." should have ended in a question mark.

Speaking of that baptismal record, do you also see a double German-style SS on the father's name? Is Ros (sic) being spelled two ways in one small document?

5) Thank you for pointing out the the names of French passengers (Catherine Jodler; Therese Gieser; Rose Gieser; Friederic Lippert; Alexandre Flabes) who entered the ship together. Or in a manifest, is it understood as a list of people exiting the ship in line? That has never been clear to me. These people are worth tracking, and I will. Catherine and my pregnant Lisette are youngest at 24. There are two 25-year-olds and and two 28-year-olds. Rose Giesler is the oldest at 29. I like the thought of them, friends, off to America together carrying youth and a humpback trunk or two.   

6)  Lastly, what magical talents do you possess to find Alsatian civil birth records in Olympic time trial speed? The Tables decennales must be checked for each town separately. I know of no "master list." As mentioned above, it took a good half of a year (working with a cousin who dug through town records at the same time I did in another state) to locate the birth record of our gg grandfather. Yes, our fingers walked through Altenach to Battenheim to Carspach to Durmenach to Enschingen to Friesen to Gunsbach to Houssen to Jungholtz to Kruth to Lautenbach to Metzeral to Niffer to Oberbruk to Pfastatt to and everywhere in between before reaching ROUFFACH. B-I-N-G-O! To think of the hours spent is a painful memory which was only assuaged by a finished bottle of champagne. 

Thank you most kindly for sharing your experience and guiding me here.

Barbara Hall       

Barbara Hall Newbie

Since my last writing here I have been through every town in the Bas Rhin looking at the 1823-1832 Decennial Tables. I found one Elisabeth Dintinger born 24 April 1831 in Gungwiller. The DOB is a mere two weeks apart from the birthday backdated from the grave marker of my gg grandmother. Looking at other records for the town, Elisabeth had a younger brother, Georges (1834-1855) who was born and died in Gungwiller.  Notably here is the fact that my gg grandmother named her eldest son, George, born in Chicago also in 1855.

I have yet to find a marriage or death record for her parents, Pierre Dintinger or Dorothee Wittman. It appears they were not born there nor died in Gungwiller. This Elisabeth Dintinger did not marry a Jacob Ros in Gungwiller. I am still examining nearby towns for the marriage record of parents’ and daughter. 

If this is in fact my gg grandmother, I am surprised at the location of her town near the western reach of the Bas Rhin in that jigsaw puzzle-looking land that juts into the Moselle. Because she married a man from Baden, I thought she may be from, for example, a border town or a river town. Perhaps not so. A day long journey in a wagon would likely have gotten one to Strasbourg from Gungwiller. Certainly two days would do it, so perhaps I should not be so provincial in my approach. 

I must add that I did not find anyone with the four possible last names of possible French traveling companions (Gieser, Jodler, Flaves, Lippert) in the Decennial Tables. After reading thousands of Alsatian records, these names themselves started to look and sound decidedly non-Alsatian.

The Bas Rhin software is a joy as it’s user-friendly and quick. In contrast, the Haut Rhin records are clunky with a slow load and sluggish interface. There are no fewer towns in the Bas Rhin, but I could never have done what I accomplished in 4 days if I had been trolling the Haut Rhin system. It would have taken months, and that is not an exaggeration.

To be thorough, I wonder if one goes with the found record and accepts it or if one turns south and digs for a possible Elisabeth Dintinger record in the Haut Rhin with an early May 1831 birthdate.

To my readers, any suggestions about inter-marriage between Lutheran Alsatians and possibly (probably?) Catholic Baden residents in the mid-18th century (1854-1855) would be appreciated. I know the tradition was to marry at the bride’s church, but I wonder if I look for a marriage in Baden?

A final mention is to address the name “Lisette” used on the Trumbull sailing ship manifest. I think she was young and cheeky and simply used her nickname. I saw not one Bas Rhin record with the feminine name Lisette. 

Thank you for reading this far. 

Henry Rosenberg Tracker

Hi Barbara- I found this on Google. I Googled May 8 1855 Ship Trumbull.

https://immigrantships.net/v2/1800v2/trumbull18550508.html

Line 303-Jacob and 304-Lisette.

I hope this helps,

Henry

1 person found this helpful
                        Timothy McGoldrick Wayfarer

330 Passengers arrived on the ship Trumbull May 8, 1855

60 passengers from Baden on the ship Trumbull May 8, 1855

See link: Note you will have to have an Ancestry subscription to view link

Link: https://www.ancestry.com/search/collections/7488/?arrival=1855-5-8&arrival_x=0&f-F0005959=Trumbull&keyword=Baden&keyword_x=1

Timothy McGoldrick Wayfarer

The following 60 passengers from Baden arrived on the Trumbull on May 8, 1855

1- Catherine Ziegler                               

2- Balthasar Newnrig

3- Georg Stocker

4- Jacob Burkart

5- Lucas Zimmerman

6 – Caroline Fuhs

7 – Fran Kappler

8 – Jacob Ros

9 - Joseph Fuhs

10 – Jacob Knoblauch

11 – Friederic Brener

12 – Leopold Speitel