1 Reply Latest reply on May 13, 2020 7:32 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking DD-214 record for Richard Alva Cherry


      How to find a DD-214 record for Richard Alva Cherry?

        • Re: Seeking DD-214 record for Richard Alva Cherry
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Stephens,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          A copy of his DD-214 should be in his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces during most of the 20th century are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin.  For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          If he separated from service during the 1990s through the present, his OMPF may still be with his branch of service.  Please see Locations of Service Records for details.


          We hope this information is helpful.