4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2020 1:17 PM by Dave Smoot

    Seeking military records for Earl Victor Walls, Jr


      Hello, I am seeking any military records available for my father-in-law, Earl Victor Walls Jr.  All I can confirm is he served in the Army, participated in the Battle of the Bulge where he sustained a serious leg injury. Any records would be greatly appreciated.

        • Re: Seeking military records for Earl Victor Walls, Jr
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Looks like your father in-law was very active with AMVETS after the war helping to provide amputees with their personnel vehicles. Please see the attached congressional record.




          According to the AAD files


          Earl V. Walls Jr. was born in 1923 from Pennsylvania Army serial# 33590986 enlisted 3/9/1943. Will need to take this information and fill out either an SF-180 or use the internet and evetrecs site under veterans resources and request his records. Just so you know that currently the NPRC is only processing emergency requests. Would recommended doing this when they resume normal operations.




          Elliot Schneider

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking military records for Earl Victor Walls, Jr
            joan stachnik Tracker

            Hi, the US Army World War II Enlistment database has the following (see below) information for Earl V Walls Jr.  If this is your father-in-law, you can use his enlistment date (9 Mar 43) and his ASR (33590986) to request any military service records from the National Archives. There are other posts on this forum that describe how to request his files, if they are available.


            If he was hospitalized for his injury, there might be a Hospital Admission Index card available.  I was able to request that information regarding my dad, from the St. Louis Archives. Also, some states provided benefits to returning veterans, if they registered their separation papers with state VA services. You can try contacting your local state or county VA services to see if your father-in-law did this on his return. Hope this is of some help. joan



            Name: Earl V Jr Walls

            Name (Original): WALLS EARL V JR

            Event Type: Military Service

            Event Date: 09 Mar 1943

            Event Place: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

            Race: White

            Citizenship Status: citizen

            Birth Year: 1923

            Birthplace: 39

            Education Level: 3 years of high school

            Civilian Occupation: Semiskilled brakemen, railroad

            Marital Status: Single, without dependents

            Military Rank: Private

            Army Branch: No branch assignment

            Army Component: Selectees (Enlisted Men)

            Source Reference: Civil Life

            Serial Number: 33590986

            Affiliate ARC Identifier: 1263923

            Box Film Number: 06811.198

            2 people found this helpful
            • Re: Seeking military records for Earl Victor Walls, Jr
              Holly Rivet Tracker

              Dear Ms. Jessup,


              Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


              The World War II Army Enlistment Records are available via AAD (Access to Archival Databases) on the National Archives website at: https://aad.archives.gov/aad/.  Click on "World War II" under the category section. A list of the databases relating to WWII will appear and select the first database to search the WWII Army Enlistment Records.  Please see this link for his enlistment record.


              We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. You can also fax the form to 314-801-9195  Veterans and their next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


              Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, National Archives research rooms and museums are closed to the public until further notice and the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


              We hope this information is helpful.



              Holly Rivet

              2 people found this helpful
              • Re: Seeking military records for Earl Victor Walls, Jr



                Thank you for posting your question.


                This information can be found at NARA at the "Records of the Office of the Surgeon General (Army), 1775-1994", and at Ancestry.com under the title, "US WWII Hospital Admission Card Files, 1942-1954", which is where I found it in Ancestry's Library Edition.


                Apparently, your father-in-law was wounded twice, once in January of 1945 and later that year in April, the latter being the more severe of the two.


                I hope you find this helpful. Good luck in finding additional information concerning your father-in-law.


                Dave Smoot

                1 person found this helpful