5 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2020 12:56 PM by Elliot Schneider

Looking for rosters of 39th Bomb Group

Mark Sheehan Newbie

My Uncle recently passed away and I am looking for rosters for the U.S. Army Air Corps 20th Air Force for 1944-45. He was in the 39th Bomb Group of the 314th Bomber Wing that was under the 20th Air Force in the Pacific in 1944-45. He was stationed on Guam and flew B-17's and then B-29's. I have searched Fold3 and found nothing. Does the NPRC in St. Louis or NARA have WWII rosters for the 20th Air Force? If not where can I look?

• Re: Looking for rosters of 39th Bomb Group
          Elliot Schneider Navigator

Mark,

What is his name I've got some General Orders that I can search.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

Mark Sheehan Newbie

Hi Elliot - Thanks for your help!!  His name was James Lewis Pickering. Born 4 Dec 1925 Sacramento CA. Died 3 Mar 2019 San Joaquin CA. He Enlisted 23 June 1944 at Fort MacArthur, San Pedro CA. His Army Serial Number is 19192500. He served for the duration of WWII in the Pacific and then also served in the Korean War. We believe he remained with the 20th Air Force for both wars. He had patches for the 39th Bomb Group, which was part of the 314th Bomber Wing (also a patch) which in turn was under the 20th Air Force (also a patch) during WWII. From my research three Squadrons made up 39th Bomb Group: The 60th, 61st and 62 Bomb Squadrons. I do not know which Squadron he served with since I have been unable to find ANY roster records for the 20th in WWII. I have not searched records for the 20th for the Korean War but I will try.

Thanks

Mark Sheehan

Jason Atkinson Navigator

Dear Mr. Sheehan,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

If you need proof of service for burial, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764. If this is for general genealogical research and you do not have an urgent need for the records, mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002, and NPRC staff will address it when it is safe to resume normal operations. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

Rosters for units serving in World War II from 1944 - 1946 were destroyed in accordance with Army disposition authorities. Morning reports for Army units (from November 1, 1912 to 1959) are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For access to these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.

The National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) has custody of microfilm copies of operational records relating to U.S. Army Air Force units. We searched the Air Force History index to the microfilm and located 19 files that pertain to the 39th Bombardment Group . There are several that include either a roster or general orders for the unit. Click on the specific PDF icon. In the PDF listing, the IRISREF is the microfilm reel number and note the FRAME and FRAMELST numbers for the location on the reel. The files are on either Reel B0128 or B0129. For access to and/or copies the reels, please contact RDT2 via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL and RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful
                  Mark Sheehan Newbie

Dear Jason,

Thank you for the VERY detailed response!! I am helping his daughter with his records. I walked her through an on-line next-of-kin request via the NARA/NPRC website. I am guessing with COVID-19 that she will be waiting at least 6 months for a reply. I am curious as to why the Army Disposition Authorities "destroyed" Rosters from 1944-1946? How odd...but not surprising. I live in Virginia and spend quite a bit of time at Archives II doing WWII USMC research for my book project on my father's service with the 4th Marine Division so I will check the files you reference above during my next research visit (Covid permitting). Thanks so much for your help.

Sincerely,

Mark Sheehan