1 Reply Latest reply on May 13, 2020 11:37 AM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking document sources of "Weekly Intelligence Bulletins"

kamar98764 Newbie

According to an article titled "MIDGET SUB ACTIVITY", in the "Weekly Intelligence Bulletins"(vol. 1, No. 32, Feb 19, 1945), Japanese midget submarine "No. 55" was recovered on 15 August 1944  at Saipan. Same article can be seen here (page 22). However, No bibliography information about in the article. I think any reports or records inspecting the submarine somewhere, and have tried to found out them, but I can't. Please let me know about source information of it.

The following information is  likely to be related to the submarine "No. 55", I have thought. On 15 and 16 August 1944, USS Bowditch(AGS-4) and SERVRON-12 salvaged Japanese 80-foot submarine in the bottom of Tanapag harbor at Saipan. And then, the submarine was turned over to inspecting party. According to the War diary of SERVRON12 and COM 5th Fleet, "inspecting party" seems to be a mine disposal unit or Island Commander Saipan, but I haven't been able to identify any units and records submarine inspecting .  I think "No. 55" submarine seems to be the submarine salvaged by Bowditch, but I haven't confirmed.

A related question was posted before ("Seeking ultimate fate of captured Japanese midget submarine, HA-55" ).

• Re: Seeking document sources of "Weekly Intelligence Bulletins"
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Kamakura,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the The O.N.I. Weekly, 1/28/1942 - 12/27/1944 and Indexes and Issues of "ONI Weekly" and Combat Narratives, 1942 - 1945 in the Records of the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations (Record Group 38) that may include the report you seek. We also located records of the Intelligence Division in Record Group 38 during WWII. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

The document cited in your request is from the Australian Navy and at the end of that section it states “R .A .A .F. Command Intelligence Summary - 17th March, 1945.” Therefore, we suggest you contact the National Archives of Australia, P.O. Box 7425, Canberra Business Centre, ACT 2610, Australia.  The web site is https://www.naa.gov.au/ and the email address for reference inquiries is ref@naa.gov.au.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

[Some information provided by Nate Patch, Subject Matter Expert]

2 people found this helpful