5 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2020 10:06 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking pension & military files of Patrick Fallon

    Larisa Roderick Newbie

      What form can I use to request service and/or pension records for a veteran who served in the US Navy from 1899-1905? 

      I know that archival Navy records can be hard to find, but I want to obtain a military headstone for Patrick Joseph Fallon, & need documentation of his service & discharge for the VA application. However, forms NATF-85, NATF-86, & SF-180 all exclude the date range I need:
      *According to NARA’s instruction page for requesting pre-1917 records, Washington DC only has Navy records for enlisted personnel who served from 1798 – 1885.
      *The instruction page for SF-180 says it covers Navy records for enlisted personnel who were “Discharged, deceased, or retired before 1/1/1886” or between 11/1/1912 –10/15/1992.

      Are there any other options?


      VA Master Index card_USN 1899-1905

        • Re: Seeking pension & military files of Patrick Fallon
          Alice Lane Pioneer

          Hi Larisa,


          Found this on familysearch.org. Patrick Joseph Fallon Pension File


          This is kind of hard to read but there has to be an original somewhere.


            • Re: Seeking pension & military files of Patrick Fallon
              Larisa Roderick Newbie

              Hi Alice,
              Oh my gosh, thank you so much!  Fallon’s Pension file is acceptable proof of military service according to the VA’s guidelines for pre-1917 vets.  The document you found qualifies him for a military headstone.

              I’ve scoured FamilySearch, Ancestry, & Fold3 repeatedly, & I can’t explain why this never turned up.  You’re a miracle worker!  Thank you again, Alice.

            • Re: Seeking pension & military files of Patrick Fallon
              Jason Atkinson Ranger

              Dear Ms. Roderick,


              Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


              We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and prior to 1958 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  You can also fax the form to 314-801-9195 OR view the record by visiting the NPRC Archival Research Room in St. Louis, MO. Veterans and their next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


              Please note that due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


              Most XC pension files for this time period are in the custody of the National Archives at Saint Louis (RL-SL). For more information, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.


              Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


              We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

                • Re: Seeking pension & military files of Patrick Fallon
                  Larisa Roderick Newbie

                  Thank you for responding to my question.  The records I seek are well within the dates you cite for available USN enlisted personnel records.  Perhaps I read the SF-180 instructions incorrectly.  I apologize for the misunderstanding.

                  As it turns out, I might not need to submit an OMPF request for this veteran.  However, it may become necessary to submit a records request for one of the other veterans I’m researching.  Depending on the veteran’s era of service, I might have to submit an SF-180, NATF-85, or NATF-86.

                  I’m aware that NARA's operations are currently limited due to the COVID-19 pandemic.  Will record requests received at this time be processed at a later date? If so, will they be processed in the order received? Thank you again

                    • Re: Seeking pension & military files of Patrick Fallon
                      Jason Atkinson Ranger

                      Dear Ms. Roderick,


                      Thank you for posting your follow up request on History Hub!

                      The National Archives web page Locations of Service Records provides information about which organization has military service records based on date of separation, branch, and rank (officer or enlisted). If you have further questions about the records of a specific person, please inquire here on History Hub or contact the National Archives privately via our Contact Form.


                      Once operations resume, non-emergency record requests will be filled in the order in which they were received. Please be advised that the National Archives has not yet established timelines for the resumption of operations at any of our facilities. National Archives leadership is continuing to monitor the evolving situation and will make decisions about changes in operations on a facility by facility basis in accordance with local conditions and in compliance with guidelines from local, state and federal health agencies. Please monitor https://www.archives.gov/coronavirus and NARA social media channels for updates.


                      We hope this information is helpful.