4 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2020 10:54 PM by Alice Lane

Seeking immigration information for Cosimo Cerasa

Angela Chiavetta Newbie

My husband's grandfather stated on his Petition for Naturalization that he emigrated from Palermo to the United States on or about April 21, 1900.  I have searched every method I could think of and not successful.  What were the rules, laws etc about providing proof  that he arrived legally  when applying for citizenship?  Could he have come in illegally?  He was in the United States in 1906 when he married. He became a U.S. citizen on October 6, 1911 (Cert. of Nat. 141660).  His name was COSIMO CERASA and was born in Vallelunga, Sicily.

• Re: Seeking immigration information for Cosimo Cerasa
          Angela Chiavetta Newbie

Aliice:  The Cosimo you referred me to in Family Search is NOT the correct Cosimo Cerasa.  My Cosimo Cerasa's parents are Melchiore Cerasa and Rosalia Cardinale.  Can you remove this information.  There are many Cosimo Cerasas in the same family.  Sorry. 

On the Petition for Naturalization.  Cosimo Cereasa, born March 15, 1884 in Vallelunga, Sicily  emigrated from Palermo, Italy on April 21, 1900 and arrived on May 21, 1900 in the Port of New York.  Name of ship is unknown.  Can you locate this manifest for me please.

.  I have his Declaration of Intention  (#2943) and Petition for Naturalization (#1077).

Thank you

Angela Chiavetta

Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Chiavetta,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Beginning in 1906, when an individual submitted a Declaration of Intention they were required to have a Certificate of Arrival issued by the Department of Justice to confirm their legal admission to the US.  Based on the 1911 date of Petition, he may be in the gray area of time for whether this documentation would have been issued.

In general, naturalization was a two-step process* that took a minimum of five years. After residing in the United States for two years, an alien could file a "declaration of intention" ("first papers") to become a citizen. After three additional years, the alien could "petition for naturalization" (”second papers”). After the petition was granted, a certificate of citizenship was issued to the alien. These two steps did not have to take place in the same court.  If a naturalization took place in a Federal court, naturalization indexes, declarations of intention (with any accompanying certificates of arrival), and petitions for naturalization will usually be in the National Archives facility serving the state in which the Federal court is located. No central index exists.

To ensure a successful request with the National Archives, you should include the name of petitioner (including known variants); date of birth; approximate date of entry to the US; approximate date of naturalization; where the individual was residing at the time of naturalization (city/county/state); and country of origin

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

[Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]

1 person found this helpful
              Alice Lane Adventurer

Angela,

On familysearch.org you can search New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924

click on the link below.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1368704

Best Wishes and good luck in your search.

Alice