2 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2020 8:25 AM by Kathy Ouellette

Seeking help to determine approximate date of a photo

Kathy Ouellette Newbie

I have this photo in a box of family photos.  It has nothing written on the back.  Is anyone familiar with the military uniform / boots to help determine the approximate year it was taken?Man in military uniform and young girl

• Re: Seeking help to determine approximate date of a photo
          Alex Daverede Wayfarer

Kathy,

The soldier is wearing the Class “A” khaki uniform with khaki rank stripes and black leather combat boots.  The khaki Class “A” uniform was a standard US Army uniform during most of the Cold War (World War Ii through the Vietnam War).  The Army began to transition to black uniform accessories and footwear starting around 1955, completing the process around 1960.  The cotton khaki sergeant’s stripes were a carryover item from the WWII era, and did not survive very long into the 1960’s.

If I were to make an educated guess on the date of the photo, I would put my money on a date between 1955 and 1960.

I hope you find this information useful.

A. J.

1 person found this helpful
            • Re: Seeking help to determine approximate date of a photo
              Kathy Ouellette Newbie

Thank you, A. J.

After posting the question, I noted that the paper that the image was developed on is consistent with other photos taken in the 1950s.  The corners of the photo are not exactly 90 degrees, and both front and back have smudges, as if it had been trimmed and carried in a wallet.  I hope I can identify the people in the photo. Your information is a great help in narrowing the time period.  I appreciate your quick reply.

Kathy