2 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2020 12:07 PM by Alice Lane

    Seeking records of James Warner from Pennsylvania National Guard


      I'm looking for STRs on a Pennsylvania National Guard Army soldier. Name is James H Warner. Specifically interested in Hospital/Sick Call entries and the time frame he was on the USS Wright CVL-49. What we do know is he served from December 1949 to August 1952. The Guard unit may have been from Lock Haven, PA. His Service number is (NG) 24007239 and the unit was Hq Co. 6th Replacement, Ft Ord, CA. James was involved with artillery from the few details the surviving spouse can say. There was an incident where James was in Sick Call/Hospital for an unknown injury. We also know he would have traveled aboard the USS Wright CVL-49 to Korea. Thank You

        • Re: Seeking records of James Warner from Pennsylvania National Guard
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Bombria,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          For access to personnel records of non-active duty Army National Guard enlisted personnel and officers, please contact the Adjutant General of the appropriate state using the addresses listed on the National Guard website at https://www.ngaus.org/states-territories/state-association-directory.


          U.S. Navy sick bay or sick call logs are deemed to be temporary records and are destroyed by the Navy after initial administrative use. Medical information concerning individuals should be included in the medical file of the individual. Injuries and sick calls are also sometimes mentioned in deck logs.


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Logbooks of U.S. Navy Ships and Stations, 1941 - 1983 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that include the deck logs of the USS Wright for 1949 through 1952. For access to and/or copies of these logs, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2.We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking records of James Warner from Pennsylvania National Guard
            Alice Lane Pioneer

            Hi Karen,

            You might find answers here. https://www.koreanwar.org/html/search.html


            Wishing you good luck in your search.


            1 person found this helpful