3 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2020 2:38 PM by Holly Rivet

Seeking my uncle's WWII service records

mike keane Newbie

My Uncle was in the US Army Air Corps entered in 1942. I have his Social Security number. I want to find his service record. I tried Ancestry, Fold3 and other sites with no luck. I don't know where to look anymore.  Thank You

• Re: Seeking my uncle's WWII service records
          Holly Rivet Tracker

Dear Mr. Keane,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest checking the World War II Army Enlistment Records via AAD (Access to Archival Databases) on the National Archives website at: https://aad.archives.gov/aad/. Click on "World War II" under the category section. A list of the databases relating to WWII will appear and select the first database to search the WWII Army Enlistment Records.  From here you can gather information needed to request his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) such as service number, date of entry, and date of birth. 

Then you may request a copy of his OMPF from the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. These files contain enlistment forms, training, locations served, correspondence, and more.  Please note that in many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire.  Proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued in its place. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

Sincerely,

Holly Rivet

2 people found this helpful
            mike keane Newbie

Thank you so much Holly. I was able to get his info and am now in the process of filling out the request military records form. Actually He was in the US army Air Corps. for mailing purposes, would he be considered under Army or Air Force when looking u the correct address to mail this on page 2. I am thinking Army.

Holly Rivet Tracker

Dear Mr. Keane,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

We suggest that you include both because his record was closed by the branch he was separated from.   It's common for this time period for men to have enlisted in the Army, but separated from the Air Force after September 18, 1947 when it was established as a branch separate from the Army.

We hope this is helpful!