1 Reply Latest reply on May 5, 2020 4:17 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking military records of JB Summerlin


      How can I find my deceased father’s Korean War records? He was in the Navy. I have no information on his time. He did not die during the conflict.

      His name was J. B. Summerlin. DOB: 2/23/35 DOD: 6/28/98 Florida


        • Re: Seeking military records of JB Summerlin
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Gandy,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and prior to 1958 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  Veterans and their next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Also, we searched the “U.S., Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010” and located the following information about your father. Please be sure to include his social security number, enlistment date (i.e. Date Entered), and release date on the SF-180.


          Name:  J. Summerlin

          Gender:  Male

          Birth Date:  23 Feb 1935

          Death Date:  28 Jun 1998

          SSN:  253485647

          Branch 1:  NAVY

          Enlistment Date 1:  9 Apr 1952

          Release Date 1:  6 Sep 1955


          However, due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!