1 Reply Latest reply on May 8, 2020 1:47 PM by Rebecca Collier Branched from an earlier discussion.

Seeking to prove grandmother did not renounced or forfeited her Italian citizenship

Francis LePage Newbie

Thank you in advance for reading the details of my research and the reason why I am seeking your help.

I am applying for Italian citizenship in the Township (commune) in Italy where my grandparents were born. I am a second  generation American citizen born in the U.S., and I am of Italian descent. I’m retired and planning to spend it in Italy.

My Italian heritage comes from my maternal grandmother to my mother, so I qualify under Italian Law for Italian citizenship which in my case, is based solely on Blood (sanguine). This fact is codified in the applicable code in the Italian Constitution specifically for Italian citizenship by blood.

My own research proves that after my mother was born in 1926, here in the United States, to a woman who is my biological grandmother. I have a valid copy of her Italian birth record. My grandmother emigrated here from Italy before 1910. She became a U.S. naturalized citizen several years, or approximately 15 years, after my mother had already been born. Because my grandmother did not renounce her Italian citizenship before 1927 (my mother was born the year before), my grandmother passed her citizenship to my mother.  So, pursuant to Italian Citizenship Law, my mother is legally recognized as an italian citizen. And this is true, even though our mother was born, not in Italy, but here in the U.S. There are some obvious questions however. Like, if my mother never knew she had Italian citizenship how could she Not know that she had given away her right to citizenship by officially renouncing it? it’s a valid question. My mother still lives here in the U.S. and is 94 years old of sound mind and body. She doesn’t recall ever being asked to sign such a document Or by anyone who wanted her to renounce Italian citizenship. As far as our mother knew, she had only one citizenship which is of the U.S.

But there is a wrinkle. I need to provide the Commune in Sora, Italy, with a letter officially translated from English into Italian, and legally verified, that says she DID NOT renounce her Italian citizenship. My question is, how do I obtain a letter or statement on official U.S. government letterhead, to verify or that will state in  writing that, "my mother Anne Mattacchione LePage never renounced  her italian citizenship?"  I realize there is more I need to do before I can obtain such a letter or where to go to get one, but I hope your insight will help.  Thank you very much.