1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 28, 2020 7:31 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Searching Navy Records for Harold Bruce Haines


      My husband and I are searching for his grandfather. We have very limited information. We believe he was born November 30, 1928. We have confirmed that Bruce (he went by his middle name) Haines joined the Navy and then worked for the railroads. No other information. Any help or point in the right direction would be great.

        • Re: Searching Navy Records for Harold Bruce Haines
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Ramos,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and prior to 1958 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Railroad Retirement Board records are in the custody of the National Archives at Atlanta (RE-AT). This link provides information on the records and filing a request, as well as sample files. Please email RE-AT at atlanta.archives@nara.gov for questions about these records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RE-AT. Also, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!