6 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2020 3:16 PM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking records for David Brokaw

Nicholas Brokaw Newbie

Hello and thank you! I am seeking any/all help regarding records pertaining to my great great grandfather, David Brokaw. Here is what I know about him. He was born in Russia and immigrated to US in 1891 (likely with family, wife- Rose, children- Anna, Samuel, Max, Jenny, Ida, Rebecca, Fay, Jacob, and my great grandfather Isidor). I have records of the children from approx 1910 and onwards using the name Brokaw, but have nothing for 1900, hence why I feel they also use the same name David did at the same time. His Hebrew Headstone translates as "Here is buried/ a man wholehearted and upright, [abbreviation for honorific] our teacher the master / Kalman David son of Mr. Shlomo/ Avreshkov/ died 16 Cheshvan 5674/ [abbreviation] May his soul be bound in the bond of life." notes from the translator: The surname is written with Yiddish orthography, so it's "Avreshkov" or "Ovreshkov." As written here, not "ABreshkov." But B and V are commonly substituted for each other, and if someone were trying to "get it right" on the headstone, "Avreshkov" and "Abreshkov" are essentially the same.

A record from NARA that I can see listed but cannot access actual document/detailed info

NameDavid Abrashcov
      Birth1855
      Arrival1891
      Immigration

New York, USA

Age[Birth Year]
      NationalityRUSSIAN
      Roll101
      CourtU. S. DISTRICT COURT NEW YORK, N.Y.
      WitnessAlbert Scherick
      PublisherNARA
      Publication #M1674
      Publication titleSoundex Index to Petitions for Naturalizations Filed in Federal, State, and Local Courts in New York City, 1792-1906
      Short descriptionNARA M1674. The Soundex index to naturalization petitions filed in federal, state, and local courts in New York City, including New York, Kings, Queens and Richmond counties, 1792-1906.
      Medium descriptionThis publication contains index cards for petitions filed in New York City courts between 1792 and 1906. Browse by year, then alphabetically by last name of petitioner. In the upper right-hand corner is the Soundex code, the first letter of the surname followed by three digits. Read the full description for Soundex instructions.
        • Re: Seeking records for David Brokaw
          Alice Lane Adventurer

Hi Nicholas,

Found this on familysearch.com. Marriage of David's daughter Annie in 1894

David Abrashkoff

New York, New York City Marriage Records, 1829-1940

NameDavid Abrashkoff
          sexMale

Other information in the record of Joseph Rosenberg and Annie Abrashkoff

from New York, New York City Marriage Records

NameJoseph Rosenberg
          Event TypeMarriage
          Event Date21 Aug 1894
          Event PlaceManhattan, New York, New York, United States
          Event Place (Original)Manhattan, New York
          GenderMale
          Age26
          Marital StatusSingle
          RaceWhite
          Birth Year (Estimated)1868
          BirthplaceRussia
          Father's NameLeib Rosenberg
          Mother's NameLiba Lekan
          Spouse's NameAnnie Abrashkoff
          Spouse's GenderFemale
          Spouse's Age21
          Spouse's Marital StatusSingle
          Spouse's RaceWhite
          Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated)1873
          Spouse's BirthplaceRussia
          Spouse's Father's NameDavid Abrashkoff
          Spouse's Mother's NameRosi Miralewitsh

Hope this helps you. Familysearch is a free website. you just have to join to use.

Nicholas Brokaw Newbie

Yes thank you!!! This i've seen before and is the marriage license info of his oldest daughter... its the only document where i see the name spelled this way... i've yet to see any other documents with the name Abrashkoff spelled like this... THANK YOU AGAIN!

Yes I have used familysearch in past and need to become better at using its search functions...

Alice Lane Adventurer

Hi again,

This was also found on familysearch.com...........Is this a relative.  Alice

Nicholas Brokaw Newbie

OK WOW ! Thank you!!! this one is major! I was only able to see the filing information about this... tremendous!!! never seen the name Davis used... might open some new search avenues for me... also HUGE find in seeing this address... now i can try to find the census for this address and see what names show up

THANK YOU ALICE!

Alice Lane Adventurer

Nicholas,

You are very welcome. Glad I could help.

Alice

Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Brokaw,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

According to the information you provided, an index card for his naturalization is part of the Soundex Index to Petitions for Naturalization filed in Select Courts Prior to 1906 in the Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service (Record Group 85) that was microfilmed as National Archives Microfilm Publication No. M1674. Since it was filed in the U.S. District Court in New York, we suggest contacting the National Archives at New York (RE-NY) via email at newyork.archives@nara.gov to inquire about the petition associated with the index entry you located. The petition should provide such information such as the date and port of arrival that will help you determine the correct passenger arrival lists.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RE-NY. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Or petitions may have been digitized by Ancestry. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the National Archives has partnered with Ancestry to make the vast majority of their NARA-digitized holdings freely available to the public. Anyone with Internet access may create an account, access NARA records, and use other Ancestry resources, such as their educational offerings and family tree-maker application. For more information see Ancestry’s announcement -- “Free At-Home Education Resources From Ancestry® and Access to Nearly 500M National Archives Records”. It also may be available on FamilySearch.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

[Some information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]

1 person found this helpful