1 Reply Latest reply on May 6, 2020 9:55 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking Office of War Information facilities on Saipan

David Herdrich Newbie

I am trying to find where the Office of War Information (OWI) facilities were located on Saipan during World War II (esp. 1944-1945). The facilities would include offices, print shops, Voice of America radio stations, and antennas.  I am primarily interested in maps that would show the locations and photographs of the facilities. I have found a foundation that I suspect supported an antenna related to the OWI operations, but I have not been able to find any precise information regarding these facilities locations.  It is likely that they may be found in RG 208 which is the Record Group for OWI, but there may be other Record Groups that contain maps or photographs of Saipan 1944-1945 that would also show these facilities locations.  I'm not sure what to do next as I am new at using the NARA website.  Can anyone direct me as to how I can find and acquire copies of such maps, photos, or documents that contain the same or verbal descriptions of these facilities?  Thank you!

• Re: Seeking Office of War Information facilities on Saipan
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Herdrich,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Records of the Psychological Warfare Branch, 1942 - 1945 in the Records of the Office of War Information (Record Group 208) that includes at least 10 files relating to their Pacific operations. These records are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2). For more information, please email RDT2 at Archives2reference@nara.gov.

We also searched for maps of Saipan during the 1940s and located 33 items, 10 file units, and 3 series in various record groups. These records are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Cartographic (RDSC). For more information, please email RDSC at carto@nara.gov.

In addition, we searched for photographs of Saipan during the 1940s and located 147 items, 156 file units, and 13 series in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS). For more information, please email RDSS at stillpix@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2, RDSC, and RDSS. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!