3 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2020 4:31 PM by Sylvia Naylor

Seeking photos of Nike post in Dallau, Germany

Ron Paul Newbie

The city of Dallau, Germany is celebrating their 1250 year anniversary, and they are printing a book on the city's history.  From 1959 to 1984 they had a Nike battery on top of the hill of the city.  The author of the book is looking for any pictures or information on the post to include in the book.   He is also interested in interviewing any veterans who may have been stationed there.  He doesn't have much information other than the unit.  He has D-Battery, 1st Missile Battalion, 67th US Artillery Group. Any information, contacts, or pictures would be greatly appreciated.  thanks

• Re: Seeking photos of Nike post in Dallau, Germany
          Alice Lane Adventurer

I found another video. This one by Paul Roy a former MP stationed at Dallau.  On my recent trip to Germany I stopped by to see the old Nike Herc Missle Battery where I was stationed as an MP from 1978 until 1982 - It's Gone!

I forgot to give credit to Kai Binnig for the previous video that I sent to you.

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking photos of Nike post in Dallau, Germany
            Sylvia Naylor Adventurer

Dear Mr. Paul,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Photographs of various U.S. Army, Navy, and Marine Corps activities dating from 1940 to 2007 are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov and their web site is https://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-park/photographs-dc.html

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) ( Record Group 338) that includes 5 file units of the 1st Missile Battalion. For access to and/or copies of this/these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

For more descriptive information relating to the Nike missile system, please see these descriptions in the National Archives Catalog. For access to the records, please contact the reference unit listed in the description.

Please note that due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from various NARA units. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Also, you may want to view a website that provides some information about units and veterans who served in the 1st Battalion, 67th Air Defense Artillery. 

We hope this information is helpful.  Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful