5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2020 5:04 PM by Thomas Richardson

    Seeking procedure for ordering military medals


      I am working for someone that would like me to order his grandfather’s Army medals from WWII. His grandfather is deceased. I recently ordered and received the veteran’s DD214 and other documents from his reconstructed OMPF.  I have tried to email the NPRC to ask how to go about ordering the medals online when I already have the documentation but I kept getting referred to this webpage https://www.archives.gov/veterans/replace-medals which said to write a letter.  I wrote a letter September of last year and never received a response. Can someone please inform me on how to complete this request and receive his medals? Thank you

        • Re: Seeking procedure for ordering military medals
          Thomas Richardson Navigator

          Dear Ms. Hallo,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          For Air Force (including Army Air Corps), Army, and Navy personnel, NARA's National Personnel Records Center will verify the awards to which a veteran is entitled and forward the request with the verification to the appropriate service department for issuance of the medals.


          For requesting medals and awards, please use eVetRecs on NARA’s website at https://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/ or complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and send it to NARA's Military Personnel Records, National Personnel Records Center, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Provide as much information as possible in Section II under "other." Issuance of medals from the service branch is dependent upon their review and their backlog of medals requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. Also, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          We hope this information is helpful.

          1 person found this helpful