2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2020 9:10 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking records of Army Signal "A" Corps during WWI

Keith Rouleau Newbie

Are there any records of the Army's Signal "A" Corps during 1917-1918 in France?  My Grandfather served in World War I (1917-1918) as a Meteorologist in Signal "A" Corps in the South of France.  All his military records were lost in St. Louis during their terrible fire in 1973.

I'm trying to find out at least what the US Army Signal Corps "A" did and where they were located within Southern France during this time (1917 - 1918) and whether or not this Signal Corps saw any kind of front line action during the war.

He, like so many other veterans, came home and NEVER discussed his experiences.  All I know is that he lost his hearing in one ear apparently due to a bomb exploding nearby, so that leads me to believe that Signal "A" corps did indeed see action.  I just would like to know in what battles if those records exist.

As far as records go, I do have copies of both his US Army Registration and Honorable Discharge papers that list what unit he served within (Signal "A" company).  I did get from St. Louis his a copy of his last Army service pay stub and receipt for other travel expenses.  That's it.

• Re: Seeking records of Army Signal "A" Corps during WWI
          J. Andrew Scout

Can you make a copy of the document listing his units and post it here?  The reason I ask is because there may have been multiple A companies in the Signal Corps during the war, and I was wondering if there is anything on the record indicating a higher level of organization such as a battalion number.

• Re: Seeking records of Army Signal "A" Corps during WWI
            Jason Atkinson Navigator

Dear Mr. Rouleau,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

During World War I, the US Army Signal Corps was made up of multiple signal battalions, each of which had an A Company. “A” Corps is not a term that was used to designate any units. We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Records of Divisions, ca. 1918 - 1942 and Records of Field Signal Battalions, 1917 - 1922 in the Records of the American Expeditionary Forces (World War I) (Record Group 120) that include records of signal units that were deployed to France.  However without a battalion number, we are unable to locate your grandfather’s unit records.

Please post copies of the documents you mention to History Hub so that we may be able to help you determine what unit he served in. Alternatively, you may email them to the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) at stl.archives@nara.gov or the National Archives as College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov for assistance in interpreting the unit designation.  

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL & RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this information is helpful.