2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2020 1:52 PM by Thomas Richardson

    Seeking father's military records


      I was told that due to the fire my dad's information is lost. Is there any other way to gain information about his military service?

        • Re: Seeking father's military records
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

          Hello Mary,


          Have you tried contacting the county clerks office or county veterans service office. Usually service members filed their Discharge papers were they resident when came back from war. They were told to do this because many states have veterans benefits specific to each state.


          During WW2 some states offered a stipend upon return and registering their discharge papers.



          Hope this helps



          Elliot Schneider

          • Re: Seeking father's military records
            Thomas Richardson Navigator

            Dear Ms. Lawton,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            The 1973 fire at NPRC destroyed about 80% of the  records for Army personnel discharged between November 1, 1912, and January 1, 1960, and about 75% of the records for Air  Force personnel with surnames from Hubbard thru "Z" discharged between September 25, 1947, and January 1, 1964.


            You still may request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) to see if his record was impacted by the 1973 fire. OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 and in the Air Force from 1946 to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You may also fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin may also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records


            When submitting requests for a possible burn record, please provide as much information as possible, including the following:


            1) full name used during service                 5) place of discharge

            2) branch of service                                     6) last unit of assignment

            3) approximate dates of service                   7) place of entry into service

            4) service number


            In the event a veteran has no records in his/her possession, the essential military service data is available from a number of alternate sources.  The Veterans Administration, for example, maintains records on veterans whose military records were affected by the fire, if the veteran or his/her family filed a claim prior to July 1973.  Other sources of service information include various kinds of "organization" records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders at this Center. There is also a great deal of information available in records of the State Adjutants General, and other state  "veterans service" offices. By using the alternate sources of information which are available at this Center, NPRC employees can often reconstruct the veteran's beginning and ending dates of active service, the character of the service, rank while in service, time lost while on active duty, and periods of hospitalization.  Usually this Center is able to issue NA Form 13038, Certification of Military Service -- which is considered to be the equivalent of a DD Form 214, Report of Separation from Active Duty -- for the purpose of establishing eligibility for veterans benefits.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from NPRC. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We hope this information is helpful.