1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 21, 2020 7:01 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Where to donate firepower demo and air show slides?


      My father left a box of slides from various events like firepower demonstrations in Florida, Tehran, and California. Also air shows...other stuff too. I wonder where I can find a home for these. Thanks

        • Re: Where to donate firepower demo and air show slides?
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Mr. Yorke,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

          To inquire about donating photographs and other graphic materials to the National Archives and Records Administration, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS) at stillpix@nara.gov. Gift Collection Acquisition Policy: Still Pictures provides some information about the criteria that RDSS uses for evaluating potential donated records.

          The Library of Congress’s Veterans History Project of the American Folklife Center collects, preserves, and makes accessible the personal accounts of American war veterans so that future generations may hear directly from veterans and better understand the realities of war. In addition to audio- and video-recorded oral history interviews, VHP accepts memoirs and collections of original photographs, letters, diaries, maps and other historical documents from veterans who served in the US armed services from World War I through the present.

          The Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History collects a variety of material related to American history, to include military history. Other Smithsonian museums might be interested if the photographs relate to their particular focus, such as the Air and Space Museum collecting materials that document military aviation. 

          All five of the military services have or are constructing national museums. In addition to the national museums, there are many other official military museums affiliated with specific organizations within each branch of the military.

          Another option is to approach local and state level historical societies, libraries, archives and museums, both for the current residence of the veteran and (if different)  where he was born or was living at the time of his induction into the armed forces. Some states and localities even have military museums dedicated to documenting the experience of veterans from their area, such as the Military Museum of Fort Worth and the Maine Military Museum, the Livingston County War Museum, and many others.

          If your father was a university graduate, the institution he graduated from may be interested in his photographs. 

          Also see the following page from the Society of American Archivists about some of the considerations involved in donating personal papers -- https://www2.archivists.org/publications/brochures/donating-familyrecs

          We hope this information is helpful!

          1 person found this helpful