4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2020 11:07 PM by Ilka Simonovski

Seeking information about my great-grandfather

Ilka Simonovski Newbie

I am seeking information on my great grandfather who arrived in US in approx 1910. My great grandfather Bogoja Pavloski was recruited from Yugoslavia for labor/work in US. He worked in Chicago.

• Re: Seeking information about my great-grandfather
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Simonovski,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

If he became a naturalized citizen, this process may have happened in a Federal court in Chicago. Naturalization indexes, declarations of intention (with any accompanying certificates of arrival), and petitions for naturalization should be in the custody of the National Archives at Chicago (RM-CH). For a search of the records, please contact RM-CH via email at chicago.archies@nara.gov and include the name of petitioner (including known variants); his  date of birth; approximate date of entry to the US; approximate date of naturalization; where the individual was residing at the time of naturalization (city/county/state); and country of origin.

In most cases, the National Archives will not have a copy of the certificate of citizenship. Two copies of the certificate were created – one given to the petitioner as proof of citizenship, and one forwarded to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). We suggest that you submit an inquiry to the USCIS Genealogy Program for a search of their records.

We suggest that you contact the Chicago History Museum’s Research Center to assist you in determining the nature of labor he was recruited to perform and what local records may be available.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful
              Ilka Simonovski Newbie

Thank you for your response Rebecca. My great grandfather did not become a citizen as he returned to Yugoslavia. He lived in Chicago from approximately 1910 to 1919-1920 for about 9-10 years. I believe he worked in the timber industry cutting timber as well as and/or on the railroad.

He came to Chicago together with a group of men, names of whom are as follows:

Ilija Petreski (also known as Buceski) who was considered the leader/foreman of the group

Trajce Celisoski (also known as Sekuloski) - the only man of the group who continued to live in the US, married and had a son.

Milos and Riste Cuculovski (also known as Stojanovski (brothers)

Nedelko Srmanoski

Kostadin Pleskoski

Nikola Stevanoski

Projce Brajanoski (also known as Brnzoski)

Should you have any further information it would be greatly appreciated.

Alice Lane Tracker
              Hi Ilka,
              I have found a close match to your Bogoja Pavloski in the 1910 US Census. Was he born in Germany?
              I found this on familysearch.com it is a free website..you need to join to search.
              Alice.
              Name:Boa*R Pavloski
              Event Type:Census
              Event Date:1910 •
              Event Place:Chicago Ward 4, Cook, Illinois, United States •
              Event Place (Original):Chicago Ward 4, , Illinois
              Marital Status:Single
              Race:White
              Race (Original):White
              Birth Year (Estimated):1890
              Birthplace:Germany •
              Immigration Year:1890
              Father's Birthplace:Germany
              Mother's Birthplace:Germany
              Relationship to Head of Household:Boarder
              Relationship to Head of Household (Original):Boarder
              Sheet Letter:A
              Sheet Number:16
              Record Number:23648
                  Ilka Simonovski Newbie

Thank you for your response Alice. My great grandfather did not become a citizen as he returned to Yugoslavia. He lived in Chicago from approximately 1910 to 1919-1920 for about 9-10 years. I believe he worked in the timber industry cutting timber as well as and/or on the railroad.

He came to Chicago together with a group of men, names of whom are as follows:

Ilija Petreski (also known as Buceski) who was considered the leader/foreman of the group

Trajce Celisoski (also known as Sekuloski) - the only man of the group who continued to live in the US, married and had a son.

Milos and Riste Cuculovski (also known as Stojanovski (brothers)

Nedelko Srmanoski

Kostadin Pleskoski

Nikola Stevanoski

Projce Brajanoski (also known as Brnzoski)

Should you have any further information it would be greatly appreciated.