2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2020 10:22 PM by Alice Lane

Seeking information about my great-grandfather

Ilka Simonovski Newbie

I am seeking information on my great grandfather who arrived in US in approx 1910. My great grandfather Bogoja Pavloski was recruited from Yugoslavia for labor/work in US. He worked in Chicago.

• Re: Seeking information about my great-grandfather
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Simonovski,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

If he became a naturalized citizen, this process may have happened in a Federal court in Chicago. Naturalization indexes, declarations of intention (with any accompanying certificates of arrival), and petitions for naturalization should be in the custody of the National Archives at Chicago (RM-CH). For a search of the records, please contact RM-CH via email at chicago.archies@nara.gov and include the name of petitioner (including known variants); his  date of birth; approximate date of entry to the US; approximate date of naturalization; where the individual was residing at the time of naturalization (city/county/state); and country of origin.

In most cases, the National Archives will not have a copy of the certificate of citizenship. Two copies of the certificate were created – one given to the petitioner as proof of citizenship, and one forwarded to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). We suggest that you submit an inquiry to the USCIS Genealogy Program for a search of their records.

We suggest that you contact the Chicago History Museum’s Research Center to assist you in determining the nature of labor he was recruited to perform and what local records may be available.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking information about my great-grandfather
            Alice Lane Adventurer
            Hi Ilka,
            I have found a close match to your Bogoja Pavloski in the 1910 US Census. Was he born in Germany?
            I found this on familysearch.com it is a free website..you need to join to search.
            Alice.
            Name:Boa*R Pavloski
            Event Type:Census
            Event Date:1910 •
            Event Place:Chicago Ward 4, Cook, Illinois, United States •
            Event Place (Original):Chicago Ward 4, , Illinois
            Marital Status:Single
            Race:White
            Race (Original):White
            Birth Year (Estimated):1890
            Birthplace:Germany •
            Immigration Year:1890