1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 16, 2020 12:03 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking records of Korean War vets


      Where can I locate records for vets who were dishonorably discharged from the Korean War?

        • Re: Seeking records of Korean War vets
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Reyes-Martinez,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We are unaware of any agency of the Federal Government that has ever compiled a comprehensive list of all individuals who served in the U.S. Armed Forces during the Korean War and were dishonorably discharged.


          If there is a specific person that you are researching, we suggest that you request a copy of his or her Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          However, due to the coronavirus public health emergency, National Archives research rooms and museums are closed to the public until further notice and the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          If the discharge resulted in a courts-martial, there may be records of the courts-martial in National Archives custody. The location of these records would depend on date and branch of service. If you are seeking courts-martial records, please post additional information here on History Hub and we will provide further guidance.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!